Momentum II, DT 770, Sony, Oppo
Jun 1, 2015 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BrockSamson

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to find a headphone setup that I can use at work. Possibly also on the train. I would be using a Macbook Pro 2014 or Nexus 5 as my source. I'd mostly listen to Spotify premium or Digitally Imported radio. I listen to EDM (lots of tech house), rock, epic (two steps from hell), and almost anything else in limited quantities except country music or pop music. I've been looking at...

Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80ohm or 250ohm)
Sennheiser Momentum II Over-Ear
Sony MDR-1A
Oppo PM-3
MEElectronics M6 PRO (IEM)

I started thinking about the DT 770 but realized that while they might be fine at work with a Modi/Magni stack I'd be mostly out of luck on the train when using my Nexus 5. The Momentum II should solve this issue but I feel like I'd still want to get an external DAC/AMP anyways to get a better output than what my phone could provide. I'm still new to the others and doing research on those when I have time. Then just now I found the M6 PRO which is a whole other story. I had the original M6 and liked them but now that I have the Sennheiser HD 598 at home for gaming I'm worried that the M6 PRO won't stack up to my expectations.

I figure I can spend up to $800 on an entire setup. Lower is better, the $50 M6 PRO is certainly appealing for that reason, but I don't mind spending to the upper end if it's worth it. I'm also not opposed to multiple components. Perhaps the M6 PRO for the train and a dedicated setup for work? Or is there a good portable DAC/AMP (either a single product or 2 separate products) that would let me drive some of these headphones effectively and with good quality? I probably won't leave anything at work so even if I get something dedicated I'd prefer it to not by too bulky or heavy.

What do you guys think? I feel like I'm headed in the right direction but maybe I can eliminate some of these options or should be considering something else entirely? As a comparison I do have Sennheiser HD 598 for gaming which I love, they just don't have enough bass for some music and I need something closed so I won't disturb my coworkers.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 10
Momentum II is designed to work straight out of portable devices, an external amp is not required to enjoy these headphones.
I wouldn't cross it off just yet.

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Not much of an audiophile yet, however, I often use my N5 with spotify premium. I think the sound of the N5 is a real weak point :frowning2:

A portable dac/amp combo really improved the performance, and as a fellow n5 owner I would advise you keep a little of your budget back for this, as you yourself suggest. There are quite a few options avaliable to you so have a good look around.

I bought a JDS Labs C5D, there might be something that suits you more but this for me works perfectly, the sound is cleaner and louder than before; can also use with my PC/laptop along with husbands iphone. I can even use it with sensitive iem's with no audible hiss. It has improved listening alot for me. It is small and really well made, ticking a lot of boxes for me.

I don't have closed headphones so can not advaise you much. So you know what I am using to evaluate performance of phone, with and without DAC/amp, I have a set of Shure se846 which sound amazing if the source file is half decent, and sounds hissy from N5 without the c5d. Also tryed it with a pair if fidellio x2, which can be used right from source but sounds better with the DAC/amp.

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 10
For your budget, situation and preferences, I'd say the best you could do is to buy a dedicated DAP (Digital Audio Player) like the Fiio X1 ($100) and for the headphones the Denon AH-MM400 ($400) which has a bit more body on the low end than the PM-3.

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 10
That's one reason why I was thinking the Momentum II might be good, because of not needing an amp. At the same time I agree that the N5 doesn't have the best output so I'd probably still want a DAC/AMP anyways. I will check out the JDS Labs C5D (I'm just starting my research into portable DAC/AMP stuff now) and I'm also researching the PM-3 and HA-2 combo.

One thing that would be really nice (but maybe doesn't exist) is a portable DAC/AMP with an optical input. I have an SBZ + HD 598 setup for computer gaming and it would be nice if I could add a DAC/AMP to that. I had been planning on an M2U/M2U stack but of course that's not portable and if I can find a does-everything single item that might be worthwhile even if it costs more

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 10

One thing that would be really nice (but maybe doesn't exist) is a portable DAC/AMP with an optical input. I have an SBZ + HD 598 setup for computer gaming and it would be nice if I could add a DAC/AMP to that. I had been planning on an M2U/M2U stack but of course that's not portable and if I can find a does-everything single item that might be worthwhile even if it costs more

It does exist, but I'm not sure whether you'd benefit much from it: the Fiio E17 is such an all in one portable device, but it's relatively large and it needs external input so you'll end up with a rather large stack.

I still think a dedicated DAP is the better option. You might also want to consider the X3 2nd Gen. That one can also be used as an USB-DAC.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 10
  It does exist, but I'm not sure whether you'd benefit much from it: the Fiio E17 is such an all in one portable device, but it's relatively large and it needs external input so you'll end up with a rather large stack.

I still think a dedicated DAP is the better option. You might also want to consider the X3 2nd Gen. That one can also be used as an USB-DAC.

+1

E17 is nice, but I only use it with my Momentum (v1) to add a bit more bass EQ on the go when it gets a bit louder around me and bass perception drops.
(I do also use vintage headphones outdoors frequently, so the amp is very useful too, otherwise I probably wouldn't need it)

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 10
I don't think a DAP will work for me as I almost exclusively stream from Spotify or DI now. I will however check out those Denon headphones and the E17. I had looked at the Fiio line before and always discounted it because I figured if I'm spending that much I might as well get a Schiit stack. Now that I have a new work laptop and a train commute I will investigate them again.

I should also point out that I'm not concerned with the size or shape of this setup. I'll only ever use this setup when I have my laptop bag or bagpack with me so even most desktop setups would be acceptable. The only real "portability" requirement that I have is being able to power it. I suppose I could also drop the optical requirement (I would get a different setup dedicated to my computer at a later date). In this situation if I'm just looking for a great portable DAC/AMP for use with my Nexus 5 and Macbook Pro at work then maybe there are better options then an E17?

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 10
Just an update for anyone who might stumble upon this.

I picked up a pair of M6 PRO as a temporary solution while I figure out exactly what I want for a full setup. They are pretty good for the price. IEMs don't work for me as a permanent solution since my ears become uncomfortable after a while but they are ok for the train ride at least.

I'm really leaning towards PM-3 right now. I don't know why they just caught my attention. I will try to find a place around here where I can try them personally before I buy them. I'm also going to try to find the Momentum II since those are also appealing. The bigger question for me though is the DAC/AMP. A Fiio E17, Oppo HA-2, or Schiit stack are all appealing for different reasons and for different situations. A Schiit stack AND an HA-2 would be ideal but I can't justify it (yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back