Mom needs help!
Aug 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

calbeetx

New Head-Fier
Never purchased a pair of headphones before, looking for a good inexpensive pair for an 8 year old and myself. They will be used mainly to watch movies on the airplane/car. Don't have a clue where to start. Looking for over ears.....so far I am considering Sennheiser HD201 or Sennheiser HD 202II. I also have a heard a few people recommend the Koss R-80 or the Koss UR40. Anyone out there have some suggestions to help me please?

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 9
Hello!

For kids, I strongly oppose you going for full-size! 1) the isolations are worker than IEM, louder environment makes kids to crank up the volume = hearing damage!!! 2) may be too big for them

For your kids, I would suggest you the Etymotic Kids5: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/ek5.html with volume limits, smaller for them to carry around also to offer better isolation!

For adults, I personally think the Sennheiser will do the drill

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 9
Kids will regularly lose or break IEMs, so I wouldn't put much money into them until your child is a few years older. My son still has problems with his, and he's 13. LOL

The JVC Marshmallows (check Amazon) sound pretty good for $10 earphones. Get a pair and see if they will fit in your child's ears. Then get something better for yourself :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 9
I know you want over ear, but for general use, please check out the Sennheiser PX200-ii (replaceable pads).  It folds up small and great for travel.  Both Sennheiser and Koss are good brand, and the models fit your needs.

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 9
Instead of the PX200II, the JVC HAS400 at under $25 is a much better value and sounds great. It is probably too large for an 8 year old though, but would be great for an adult. For the 8 year old you might need a  headphone made specifically for children.  Sony makes a children's headphone, as well as a few other manufacturers. Try Toys R US or Amazon for children's headphones.

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 9
True, but if the ear pad got ripped then it's done.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 9
Kids will regularly lose or break IEMs, so I wouldn't put much money into them until your child is a few years older. My son still has problems with his, and he's 13. LOL

The JVC Marshmallows (check Amazon) sound pretty good for $10 earphones. Get a pair and see if they will fit in your child's ears. Then get something better for yourself :)

Lol sometimes it all depends on the kid! I lose my eraser (be it big or small) every month and sometimes in a week! But when I got my first headphone (wayyy back when I was 10?), I started to babysit it as I know it's expensive!

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 9
Lol sometimes it all depends on the kid! I lose my eraser (be it big or small) every month and sometimes in a week! But when I got my first headphone (wayyy back when I was 10?), I started to babysit it as I know it's expensive!

Better to find this out with a $10 IEM instead of a $50 one :wink:

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Better to find this out with a $10 IEM instead of a $50 one
wink.gif

yeahhhh~ but I'm afraid they will crank up the volume all the way up!

Either you set a volume limit on the device with a password or to warn them

Otherwise, go for the Etymotic Kids5 and let them the value of it and importance! xD

Billson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back