Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC (and headphone amp)
Mar 24, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #361 of 565
I just had a quick look at the Lumin U2 Mini product brochure. It appears said product features upsampling/downsampling, volume control, MQA decoding, and possibly other processing. If you're hearing something different over USB than over Ethernet, I'd wonder if the exact same data is entering the DAC in both instances. Both interfaces to the MA3 are galvanically isolated, and data arrives asynchronously (and is internally upsampled prior to conversion) via either interface. Does the Lumin U2 Mini have a pass-through mode which defeats all its internal processing? I'm genuinely curious what may be accounting for your perceptions.
Yes, you don’t have to run upsampling. You can run the U2 mini as just streaming transport similar to a Zen Stream (but with better clock, components, etc.)

Mar 24, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #362 of 565
I just had a quick look at the Lumin U2 Mini product brochure. It appears said product features upsampling/downsampling, volume control, MQA decoding, and possibly other processing. If you're hearing something different over USB than over Ethernet, I'd wonder if the exact same data is entering the DAC in both instances. Both interfaces to the MA3 are galvanically isolated, and data arrives asynchronously (and is internally upsampled prior to conversion) via either interface. Does the Lumin U2 Mini have a pass-through mode which defeats all its internal processing? I'm genuinely curious what may be accounting for your perceptions.

I'm running the Lumin with as little (or zero) processing possible. lumin streaming off, volume/leedh processing off, resampling off.

Probably bias of some sort is in play. otherwise the other usual argument of bits are not bits, and cable matters etc but that's beating a dead horse, and I like @BassicScience too much as a person to go down that route. 😘

Mar 24, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #363 of 565
I'm running the Lumin with as little (or zero) processing possible. lumin streaming off, volume/leedh processing off, resampling off.

Probably bias of some sort is in play. otherwise the other usual argument of bits are not bits, and cable matters etc but that's beating a dead horse, and I like @BassicScience too much as a person to go down that route. 😘
Hey Roasty, to be clear, I'm not saying what you're hearing isn't "real", just trying to understand what's behind the difference out of intellectual curiosity. :relaxed:

If the Lumin isn't actually changing the data in any way, I don't have any other theories at the moment. Maybe someday I'll make it out to Singapore, and you can give me a personal demo. I'd love to hang out and listen to some music over a brewski at some point, and you're always welcome to visit me next time you're in the Bay Area.
Cheers, buddy! :beerchug:

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #365 of 565
Hi, I have been reading through the threads and could not find the result, or may I missed it? Could you please share your thoughts on the comparison between MMT and MA-3 please? Thank you. I am considering these two.
Currently I'm doing comparison of Mola Mola with emmlabs meitner MA3.
Using Lumin U1 Leedh as volume control and connecting the DAC direct to Chord power amp.
Leedh is far more transparent than the volume control of Mola Mola. MA3 have an excellent volume control, quite close in performance to Leedh.

uc

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #366 of 565
One initial impression I can share since I see you also own a Lumin is that while the Roon Ready network input on the Tambaqui is very good, I do prefer running through my Lumin U2 mini to the MMT over USB. I A/B'd both inputs this morning and the Lumin to USB feed just felt a bit more lively. Could be placebo but I'm sticking with it for now.
Some more impressions. I much prefer the MMT to my previous Chord TT2 + HMS setup. The Chord setup was very detailed and not too lean for my chain as I paired it with SS and tube amps which fleshed the sound out very well. All that said, the Tambaqui is even more detailed while being (cliche inbound) “effortless” without sacrificing engagement by being too smooth. After mainly running the MMT into my SS amp with some Final headphones, I switched over to the 300B with the ZMF VCs and that was near perfect. There may be better DACs out there but my quest in that category is done.

May 12, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #367 of 565
I am looking at consolidating my system, that currently includes iFi Zen Stream, Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 3, Denafrips Athena and Venus II, pair of Cyrus Mono X 300 amps and pair of Dynaudio Evoke 50 speakers. In other words, a pretty good sounding Xmas tree right there. The plan is to lose everything but the amps and the speakers and add a Tambaqui. Roon will also stay, of course. Anyone knows how well the MMT plays ball with X300s?

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #368 of 565
Any thoughts on preferences / sonic differences between AES and coaxial input?

May 24, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #369 of 565
Any thoughts on preferences / sonic differences between AES and coaxial input?

had my friend's MMT in the house for a while. didnt try coaxial, but my personal preference was AES > i2s > ethernet.

May 24, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #370 of 565
had my friend's MMT in the house for a while. didnt try coaxial, but my personal preference was AES > i2s > ethernet.
Thank you. I definitely prefer coaxial and usb over Ethernet so based on your comment I need to try the AES.

May 24, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #371 of 565
Thank you. I definitely prefer coaxial and usb over Ethernet so based on your comment I need to try the AES.

No prob man.
fwiw I seem to gravitate to aes except for certain situations.

MMT aes>i2s/usb>ethernet
Wavedream aes>i2s/usb
Wavelight aes>i2s>usb
Meitner MA3 usb>aes>ethernet
MA xsabre pro i2s>usb
Holo May KTE usb>i2s>aes

May 24, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #373 of 565
how about MMT VS Mdave? anybody had experience?
With show listening condition caveats applied, I’ve heard the MDave. I thought it was audibly better than the M+TT2 which I owned at the time BUT despite the excellent resolution and transient handling, it did not wow me. The MMT handily bested the M+TT2 and I wound argue also the MDave. There is a effortlessness and non-digital element to the detail retrieval and presentation which did wow me.

May 24, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #374 of 565
With show listening condition caveats applied, I’ve heard the MDave. I thought it was audibly better than the M+TT2 which I owned at the time BUT despite the excellent resolution and transient handling, it did not wow me. The MMT handily bested the M+TT2 and I wound argue also the MDave. There is a effortlessness and non-digital element to the detail retrieval and presentation which did wow me.
That’s why u chose the mmt. Nice hopefully i have a chance to get a second hand one. I’m currently own the mtt2 stack

May 25, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #375 of 565
That’s why u chose the mmt. Nice hopefully i have a chance to get a second hand one. I’m currently own the mtt2 stack
Indeed. That and there is a certain clutter factor to fully optimize an HMS + TT2 or Dave setup. Like Opto-DX optical interconnects and/or Storm BNC cables etc. There is a certain less is more form factor simplicity to the MMT which appeals to me.

There was a used MMT in the classifieds a while back but I believe it is no longer available unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back