Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC (and headphone amp)
May 17, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #46 of 577
AFAIK and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the Tambaqui is a Roon endpoint and thus requires a Roon server on the same network. The good news is that a small, cheap PC can function as the latter, which then gives you full access to USB stick files, NAS files, and streaming services (if connected to the internet).
Correct. I use Roon server package on my NAS. Works great.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #47 of 577
I've had the opportunity to audition the Tambaqui at home over the weekend.
The headphone out is similar to the RME ADI-2 which I used to own. It can power almost all my headphones with ease and it'll sound fairly good. So efficient cans like Jupiter One, Final D8000 sounded pretty good. My other cans such as the Solitaire P-SE and HE6SE don't sound as good but drives them loud enough. Those require an external amp such as the Pathos InPol Ear
Exactly my experience and upgrade path! I assume you are purchasing?!?

May 17, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #48 of 577
Exactly my experience and upgrade path! I assume you are purchasing?!?
Please don't make me re-mortgage my house.........
Here's a picture of how small it is. Reminds me of the Bugatti Veryon, looks big and chunky in photos but is actually quite compact and small.
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 00.54.59.jpeg

May 17, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #49 of 577
Please don't make me re-mortgage my house.........
Here's a picture of how small it is. Reminds me of the Bugatti Veryon, looks big and chunky in photos but is actually quite compact and small.
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 00.54.59.jpeg
Do it!!!!!!

May 20, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #50 of 577
I have just received a Demo Tambaqui for my Susvara/Niimbus, it is setup and currently running warm. I do come from a Sonnet Audio Morpheus R2R and am curious to listen to it over the long weekend.

Initial findings, very different presentation. Especially from the dynamics the Mola Mola seems extremely transparent and resolving. The second one was a nice one, I am running them AES on the end of a series of Genelecs (including a big sub). I usually mute the Genelecs but sometimes I forget, it becomes obvious when the sub kicks in. This time again I thought that I forgot … but I did not! I was under the impression to even feel the base.

Richter: Dream 1 on Max Richter Sleep

spacer.png

May 20, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #51 of 577
I have just received a Demo Tambaqui for my Susvara/Niimbus, it is setup and currently running warm. I do come from a Sonnet Audio Morpheus R2R and am curious to listen to it over the long weekend.

Initial findings, very different presentation. Especially from the dynamics the Mola Mola seems extremely transparent and resolving. The second one was a nice one, I am running them AES on the end of a series of Genelecs (including a big sub). I usually mute the Genelecs but sometimes I forget, it becomes obvious when the sub kicks in. This time again I thought that I forgot … but I did not! I was under the impression to even feel the base.

Richter: Dream 1 on Max Richter Sleep

spacer.png

I am really curious about the cost of the internal headphone amp. All-in-ones always have tradeoffs, but I'd use this in secondary location for desktop only usage so minimalism has some personal upside. Did you perhpas try it and can comment?

(I'm also looking at the Bricasti M3h as all-in-one alternative and have same question on that as headphone amp, in case anyone has any thoughts would value greatly)

May 20, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #53 of 577
I am really curious about the cost of the internal headphone amp. All-in-ones always have tradeoffs, but I'd use this in secondary location for desktop only usage so minimalism has some personal upside. Did you perhpas try it and can comment?

(I'm also looking at the Bricasti M3h as all-in-one alternative and have same question on that as headphone amp, in case anyone has any thoughts would value greatly)

Sorry, I have not tried so far and don’t think will come very far. I am listening with Susvaras manly which are hard to drive and require a proper amp. Maybe I’ll give my 800S a try but this would be a step down in Amp and Cans, so I would not expect to find stunning results.

May 22, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #54 of 577
I have never heard so much space/room in digital recordings, it is especially noticeable with drums/cymbals. It is like removing a bandpass from a recording, I am sure the way back to my other DAC would be tough.

The Mola Mola leaves me questioning my take on digital music completely. I stuck to vinyl for very long and accepted that digital is simply a bit more recessed.

I have recently taken great care of my networking, clocking, streaming and now the DAC. Even though it is still different to analog presentation, clean, it is extremely enjoyable. No digital harshness, no glare, wonderful resolution, space/depth, extremely transparent. And the Music just flows with ease making my foot constantly tap :)

So far I could not find anything not working well on the Tambaqui, it looks like I am leaving the R2R camp…

May 22, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #55 of 577
I have never heard so much space/room in digital recordings, it is especially noticeable with drums/cymbals. It is like removing a bandpass from a recording, I am sure the way back to my other DAC would be tough.

The Mola Mola leaves me questioning my take on digital music completely. I stuck to vinyl for very long and accepted that digital is simply a bit more recessed.

I have recently taken great care of my networking, clocking, streaming and now the DAC. Even though it is still different to analog presentation, clean, it is extremely enjoyable. No digital harshness, no glare, wonderful resolution, space/depth, extremely transparent. And the Music just flows with ease making my foot constantly tap :)

So far I could not find anything not working well on the Tambaqui, it looks like I am leaving the R2R camp…
I have the same experience with regards to the drums, cymbals, and most wind and string instruments at the treble region. Just when I thought I'd be satisfied with my current setup, out comes a new challenger.

May 22, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #56 of 577

Hi I can only comment on the Bricasti HP amp, which is that it sounds very good, but not great and not at the level of the DAC itself. It will struggle with difficult headphones. The TT2 definitely has the superior amplifer and is the closest i've found to an uncompromised one box DAC/Amp solution. DAC to DAC however is much harder call as to which is best. The Bricasti has a much fuller bodied sound, with lovely analogue feel akin to a good R2R, but gives up a bit on the detail and speed font to the TT2. Like you i'm very intrigued to hear how the Tambaqui stands up amp-wise again the Bricasti and TT2/Mscaler combo.

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #57 of 577
So the aquarium has been setup and the new Tambaqui has been swimming at home for the past week. Right out of the box, it already sounds phenomenal. Back to back against the Holo Audio May, the Tambaqui has a slightly more forward midrange with a hint more micro detail (easier to discern but it's not "missing" from the May, just less noticeable).
As noted previously, the way the Tambaqui handles and presents the treble region of instruments sounds more natural to me. That's the thing with audio, subjective as it may be, but once your brain processes it, only then would you notice a difference as you step up in upgrade or sidegrade. Still it would require the right synergy to sound its best. Right now, being paired with the Pathos InPol Ear (with NOS Siemens tubes) output onto the T+A Solitaire P-SE and the music is sublime, across all genres.

On the headphone output of the Tambaqui, I'll try to test it out one of these days and share my thoughts. I have the HE6SE as well, so that would be an interesting experiment.

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #58 of 577
So the aquarium has been setup and the new Tambaqui has been swimming at home for the past week. Right out of the box, it already sounds phenomenal. Back to back against the Holo Audio May, the Tambaqui has a slightly more forward midrange with a hint more micro detail (easier to discern but it's not "missing" from the May, just less noticeable).
As noted previously, the way the Tambaqui handles and presents the treble region of instruments sounds more natural to me. That's the thing with audio, subjective as it may be, but once your brain processes it, only then would you notice a difference as you step up in upgrade or sidegrade. Still it would require the right synergy to sound its best. Right now, being paired with the Pathos InPol Ear (with NOS Siemens tubes) output onto the T+A Solitaire P-SE and the music is sublime, across all genres.

On the headphone output of the Tambaqui, I'll try to test it out one of these days and share my thoughts. I have the HE6SE as well, so that would be an interesting experiment.

Congratulations on the DAC! If you haven’t already done, check the app for an update. Mola Mola have released a new firmware on the weekend which is a worthwhile improvement.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #59 of 577

would be real curious to learn how the headphone amp sounds (and how it drives hard-to-drive cans)..

enjoy!

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #60 of 577
would be real curious to learn how the headphone amp sounds (and how it drives hard-to-drive cans)..

enjoy!
*drum roll*......................................*ching*

And so, after 2 nights of "extensive, exhaustive, objective" testing..............I kid. I just plugged the headphones to the back and listened to a couple of tracks from albums I'm familiar with. The impression of the amp section is good but not great.
How is it good? It can drive all my headphones to almost deafening loudness, HE6SE included. So power isn't the issue. The issue that's stopping it from being a great headphone amp is control and linearity. The Mola's volume control starts from -100dB (0 volume) up till 0dB (max volume). At -50dB, it'll drive most sensitive headphones to listenable volumes. At -40dB, most headphones would get pretty loud save for a few that require more juice like my D8000, P-SE and HE6SE. This is when the amp sections feels like it's losing control and kinda struggle to keep up. Yes, it'll drive them loud but you lose resolution, refinement and above all else, the DAC's strength start to fade as frequencies begin to bleed and blend into each other. It's especially apparent for the HE6SE since it's the hardest to drive and thus cranking it up all the way to -20dB and even -15dB (way too loud for my own preference), just doesn't do the DAC justice.

Of course this is still subjective to my own listening tests in my own environment, so YMMV but at least it's somewhat of an indication of the capability of the headphone amp section of the Tambaqui.

*Note: It's very easy to do an A/B with Tambaqui and the amp of your choice. Just set one of the presets to the external amp and another preset to the internal headphone amp. Then you can just toggle back and forth (just have to unplug the headphone)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back