Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC (and headphone amp)
Dec 3, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #136 of 566
Thank you, interesting that the Tambaqui was found to be good as a preamp. I may give this another go. I am wondering if this is a firmware issue and if there has been a couple of tweaks to resolve the two-dimensional feel I found with the DAC lossless digital volume control.

Yes quite surprising as that’s not my experience. I found it was pretty mediocre as preamp,

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #140 of 566
20211205_170346.jpg

A friend was kind enough to lend me his Tambaqui.

Mola vs Holo vs Rockna...

Round 1... Fight!

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #143 of 566
20211205_170346.jpg

Round 1... Fight!
I expect in depth comparison to the Wavelight (when used as DAC to your Wa33)

You made comparisons with Dave and May in the past looking forward to this one.
(Fun fact, the guy I bought my Octave V16 from used a Tambaqui as well)

Dec 5, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #144 of 566

Round 1... Fight!

Round 1... Fight!

Looking forward to your impressions, but if the Tambaqui wins you’re going to have to get your hands on a musetec da500. I sold my MM after hearing it.:)

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #147 of 566
Looking forward to your impressions, but if the Tambaqui wins you’re going to have to get your hands on a musetec da500. I sold my MM after hearing it.:)

Wait.. U sold the Mola??

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #149 of 566
This is the comparison I really need the most 🙏

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #150 of 566
Wait.. U sold the Mola??

I wasn’t planning to. I thought I’d found the grail, then a chap on audiogon who does a bit of beta testing for us who has a very high end system inc the may and a mojo audio dac, said he’d heard this new Chinese dac with an amazing power management set up. My business partner spoke to musetec and ordered one. I took my mola mola down to compare it, confidently expecting the Tambaqui in a different league. I took all of one a-b comparison to realise it out performed the MM in pretty much all areas of performance. The MM’s stand out feature for me was layer separation and staging and the 005 made it sound flat and congested. Overall clarity of tone and detail is just up a level making the MM sound veiled by comparison. Front to back depth is a show stealer.

The systems we compared it on:

2 Channel:

Our network set up > 3D Lab streamer > musetec or Tambaqui > Benchmark hpa4 preamp >

Users who are viewing this thread

Back