Mohawk and Cans...
Mar 29, 2007 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Arfa

New Head-Fier
First post, so go lightly on me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm after some new cans as I've just done a mohawk with my hair and my current Senn H497's don't fit anymore. At least not without ruining my hair and looking daft. Have been pretty happy with them until now, but its a good excuse for an upgrade. I'm not a big fan of in ear phones, so I'd like some advice on neck band style or clip on phones.

Have been looking at stuff like the Senn PMX100/PMX200, iGrado's, Koss QZ50, Audio Technica ATH-EM7 etc. What's good, what's not? Needs to be available in the UK for around the £50 mark. Will also consider current Sony models too, as I can get a staff discount on them.
Anyone brought from www.HeadCandi.co.uk or www.iheadphones.co.uk, either reputable enough?

Will be used on my work computer, playing high bitrate or lossless tunes. I will also likely get an M-Audio Transit in near future too, as I'm fed up of the onboard soundcard sounding pants.

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 8
iheadphones is a good site, I've had no trouble from them. I've never used HeadCandi though. I think the PMX100 would be a good choice, if you look hard enough you can get them for around £20 and they're the same as the PX100 apart from the band.

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Either the KSC75 or the KSC35 would be good choices among clips. I've had both but prefer the 35 slightly (sounds a little more Grado-y to me.) $12 - $30 USD.

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 8
Check out the iGrados. Some have said they preferred it than the ksc75s or the pmx100. But its hit or miss. I currently have the ksc75s but I swear not to wear it outside and I think you have a pretty high fashion awareness considering you have a mohawk. Ill be getting th3 iGrados soon and ill report back what i think about them.

Apr 1, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 8
Cool thanks for you advice. How would you say the KSC35's, PMX100 or iGrado's compare to my current Senn HD497's? Step backwards, similar or better?

I also see that the Audio Technica stuff is dirt cheap in the States at present, I may consider importing a pair. I got a bargin A.T. Needle imported not long ago, almost half UK price. There's quite a few AT clip-on's,how do they all compare? Seems the EW9's are at the top, but I'm a little concerned about the wood being from a renewal source...

Apr 1, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arfa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I'm a little concerned about the wood being from a renewal source...

Please explain

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please explain

Yeah, I don't make any sense there, my typing not keeping up with my brain.
smily_headphones1.gif

I see they are made with cherry wood and I was wondering if this was sourced from a renewable source or not. I wouldn't want to contribute to destroying some ancient forest in Japan. I'd be much happy to know it was taken from a source that is replanted and managed effectively. Just the ecoo conscious side of me kicking in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Ah ok, couldn't help you there, haven't heard them either, they just look nice.
I'd agree with the KSC 35 or 75, but haven't heard any of the others to compare them to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back