Mogami Starquad vs Cardas for 701s
Mar 1, 2008 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dcstep

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I really love my AKG 701s but they lack the inner detail that allows me to hear the note fundemental separate from its harmonics. I can hear this with my UE Triple.fi 10 Pros, Audio Technica W5000s and my loudspeakers (Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Baby Grands). I like the overall tonal delivery and bass impact of the 701s, but I'm missing that last bit of refinement that the others are delivering.

So, I'm interested in hearing of experiences with recabling 701s with either the Mogami or Cardas. Ideally maybe someone has heard both and can describe the differences.

Dave

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 8
I think I may go mogami for the sake of cost. I've had great results with sr-80, sr-60, ksc-35, and an adapter so far.

One thing though, if you've ever opened up the k701's before:

The Right driver has about 2 inches of cable going from the driver to the headband which acts as a conductor, the left side has the full cable going from the driver and the headband into the sleeve. Optimally you get a second left cup cover and have the drivers using equal length of cable, not sure on the cost of this part though.

Also it's much easier to solder the cable to the driver with the driver out of the housing completely, this involves removing two tiny screws which are a PITA to remove and even worse getting back in. The reason for this is because there's less plastic "stuff" in the way of soldering when you're just dealing with the driver leads.

Sorry to go on a tangent there, just thought you might like to know
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 8
I use nothing but Mogami quad cable for all my headphones and ICs. I had rebuilt my K701s awhile ago and have been planning on replacing the SPC I originally used and go with Mogami. Hopefully, I will get to this sometime this week. I will certainly report back.

As for recabling the 701s - it is tricky business as Mr.Sneis pointed out. One of the things to note: The exit hole molded into the left cap is asymetrical - oriented towards the rear. If you get your hands on another to accomodate a direct wired right driver then that exit is going to be oriented towards the front. Small detail but just forewarning you. Since I had to completely rebuild mine (bought a used pair with a botched recable job) I decided to patch the cap and make both L/R center exit. But that's me.
rolleyes.gif

If it helps, here's a link to the restoration project on mine. There are some interior shots that might help.

Good luck!

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the great responses. Yes, I was aware of the 701 wiring arrangement. The cable seller is offering to install for a reasonable fee and is giving me the option of single lead or double lead. I'll opt for double lead.

Dave

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you use mogami cables for sennheiser hd600's? The plug that fastens in to the headphones is normally moulded to the cable.

Sure, with the new Cardas Sennheiser plugs or a DIY solution using pieces from a replacement Senn cable, you can solder the conductors to the pins that are inserted into the receptacles in the HD series cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back