ModWright Tryst Headphone amplifier
Jul 17, 2016 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

grizzlybeast

My name is grizzlybeast and I'm an audioholic.

MODWRIGHT INSTRUMENTS | TRYST

Custom Finish, Tryst and TPS Power Supply

2995usd

"Tryst was designed to drive all modern headhpones, with the exception of Stax and other electrostats, that require a specific type of amplifier.  We have successfully used Tryst with HiFi Man, Mr. Speaker Ethers, The Abyss and Audeze's LCD series of headphones as well as more conventional offerings from Sennheiser and Grado. At 3W+ into 18 ohms, the amp offers plenty of power for the most demanding applications.

We designed the unit with two source inputs, two preamp outputs for use as a preamp or with other powered desktop speakers, etc.  Outputs include 1/4" stereo, IEM (mini stereo) and 4 pin XLR balanced outputs.  The circuit is all tube, interstage and output transformer coupled with custom hand-wound transformers from Jack Elliano at Electraprint Audio.

Power supply is external and SS rectified and choke current regulated.
Tube Complement: (2) 6922, (4) 12B4 - all NOS.
Circuit Design: PP transformer coupled with zero negative feedback and pure Class A operation."

Always looking and looking around I am. Sometimes dreaming of things I cant afford now or where I feel I may need to take a long resting stop when I can afford it. This seems promising. 

I have seen a few posts regarding it and when l looked for a page, I couldn't find an impressions page so I decided to start one. 

Hopefully people don't mind sharing impressions here. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 3
I am interested and is considering buying without an audition. I am also hoping for impression from other headfi-ers

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 3
Resurrect an old thread... I have been looking for a headphone amp for my other system. My main amp up to this point is a Rogue RH-5 which I love, but wanted something different. I ultimately landed on a ModWright Tryst. It checked a lot of my boxes. the amp came with 4 NOS 12B4s and 2 JJ 6922. Each piece weighs a ton, it is well crafted, and Dan has a great reputation.

I listened to it for a while 2 nights ago and it was sublime. I listened to Nina Simone, “Little Girl Blue” (45 RPM), Bill Evans Trio, “Portrait in Jazz”. LaFaro’s bass was lush and reached way down. The first session was all LP the signal chain was Bardo TT to a PS Audio Stellar Phono preamp to the tape out of my preamp (preamp was off). Last night I listened to a digital version of Jazz at Berlin Philharmonic XIII: Sketches of Miles (Live) through the TT2/Mscaler combo, WOW everything came alive. The headphones were Audeze LCD 3s. I will check out the presentation of vocals so far I am happy! The amp is quite revealing and subtle details are presented well. I would say that it does not mask a poor recording, but you are well well well reward with a good recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back