ModWright Sony XA-5400ES Truth Mods
Aug 26, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 22
there is one for sale on a'gon for $2250. i've seen it for lower, but still tempting. i really would like to hear it first. also, it seems a bit redundant to own two of the same unit, even if one is modded.

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #17 of 22
I understand the dilemma, announcement was made for Oppo tube mods right after I got the Sony modded.   I dont't know if anyone outside of modwright has been able to compare the units.  I wanna see if Robert Levi at Positive Feedback Online has reviewed the latest Oppo mods.  He has been a fan of Modwright for some time, and raved the 5400ES mod as the best recently. 
  Not having heard the Oppo, I WOULD have ordered the Oppo, as I need a Blu Ray too and this wouldve been more cost effective.   The lady at modwright also told me the Sony definitely sounds better, but maybe she was just trying to reassure me.  I am hesitant to sell my Sony without hearing the Oppo first, as one doesn't know if one will regret the minor possible step down in SQ. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
there is one for sale on a'gon for $2250. i've seen it for lower, but still tempting. i really would like to hear it first. also, it seems a bit redundant to own two of the same unit, even if one is modded.

Modwright is pretty darn good though given its track record.  I'm comparing my recently acquired used Modwright Denon 3910 w/ Universal Truth Mods and it is noticeably better sounding with nicer bass than the stock Sony SCD-XA5400ES.  The 5400ES is pretty darn nice stock, so his modified unit gotta be pretty spectacular!  Dan stated that his 5400ES is easily 20% better than his best offerings.

Quote:
I understand the dilemma, announcement were made for Oppo tube mods right after I got the Sony modded.   I dont't know if anyone outside of modwright has been able to compare the units.  I wanna see if Robert Levi at Positive Feedback Online has reviewed the latest Oppo mods.  He has been a fan of Modwright for some time, and raved the 5400ES mod as the best recently. 
  Not having heard the Oppo, I WOULD have ordered the Oppo, as I need a Blu Ray too and this wouldve been more cost effective.   The lady at modwright also told me the Sony definitely sounds better, but maybe she was just trying to reassure me.  I am hesitant to sell my Sony without hearing the Oppo first, as one doesn't know if one will regret the minor possible step down in SQ. 

I spoke to Dan last week and he is still saying that the sound of his 5400ES is more to his liking and slightly more refined than the Oppo.  The two players, according to him, are in the same playing field sound-wise....just different flavor.  Of course, the OPPO is more desirable given its features especially its ability to play hi-rez Flac and Wav files via USB/eSATA input.

Dec 23, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #19 of 22
Purk, I am exactly at the same cross roads while choosing between Modwright Oppo and Sony.... Did you get yours? Which one did you finally decide to get? Any impressions? Thanks. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #20 of 22
Sadly, I didn't get either the Oppo nor the Sony.  Was going to buy the demo for the RMAF show units but someone beat me to either of them.  Better luck next time.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #21 of 22
Thanks Purk. Which one did you like better at RMAF show. Dan says that he prefers Oppo 95. I really wish I could listen to both before deciding.
If you recall your listening experience please respond. I appreciate it. Thanks.

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #22 of 22
Hi, I actually didn't attend the show but was going to buy the unit prior to the show, but it was sold to some very lucky buyer due to bad timing on my part.  Dan did tell me that the Sony does sound slightly more refined to his ears as it is dedicate player unlike the Oppo.  He did said that the Oppo has better bass and has more upfront signature.  Both are extremely closed to one another and it may just boil down to a matter of preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back