Modwright headphone amp/output stage
Jun 6, 2009 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Funkmonkey

100+ Head-Fier
I recently contacted Dan Wright about the possibility of adding a headphone output stage to my existing LS 36.5 (pre-amp) that I have in my home stereo rig, or the possibility of creating a standalone headphone amp. I was pleased and surprised that he has taken this idea/suggestion seriously and proceeded to make the thread containing my inquiry a sticky. The thread can be found on Audio Circle here: Login(currently I believe you have to be a member to see it, due to recent server problems that they were having, but it's free to join and an excellent forum) Mods: if I am violating any forum rules by posting this link, feel free to remove it and I apologize.

I figured that you guys might be interested if/when something materializes. Right now he is certainly open to ideas/suggestions for this new project. For those unfamiliar with Dan's work he currently produces some excellent high-end audio gear for two channel listening. Heres a link to his website: Modwright - Elegance. Simplicity. Truth. Great audio gear from the ground up, and first class modifications.
Great stuff IMHO.

Anyway, check it out and provide some input. I certainly would like to hear what he comes up with.

Cheers,
Funk

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 7
Can't comment on the rules here at headfi, but I have to say Dan does incredible work. I have a Modded Denon by him which will be my last digital source .... except for maybe a PC system if they progress to the same level of fidelity in the future.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 7
I had a MW Transporter that I loved as well...

I proposed a balanced solid-state amp with a half-rack-width form factor to match the Benchmark DAC1. I would love to have a desktop stack like that for my HD800s.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Another idea would be to do an all-in-one headamp and USB DAC. That said, I'm not sure if Dan would want to design a DAC as well for this project. But I would love to have an integrated, compact solution. The Benchmark DAC1 is almost there but comes up sort as a headphone amp...

I would also say that adjustable gain is an important feature. And maybe two inputs.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Standalone tube amp, with THREE inputs (or at least two) and a line out. I run my Modwright phono stage direct to my head amp, then down to my preamp.

Please try to keep the cost under one million.
smily_headphones1.gif

The phono stage cost enough!

Thanks.

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 7
Dan has been working with Alan Kimmel the last few years. Alan uncorked a world class headphone amp for Grommes (actually more than a headphone amp, but that is another story). Maybe they could collaborate on a Modwright hp amp. They are pretty tight. Their latest, a big power amp, is called the KWA. It stands for Kimmel/Wright Amplifier.

I can tell you that if Alan has a hand in it, you won't believe how great it will sound.

Clark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back