Modular Connections
Feb 17, 2010 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Speed-Freak

New Head-Fier
You guys and your DIY projects have got me hooked.
[Welcome and sorry for your wallet indeed!
very_evil_smiley.gif
]

Anyways, I am looking at doing a Gamma 2 and a M3. I have no soldering skills as of yet so I will probably have someone do the board stuffing for me. However I want to do things a bit differently. After seeing how some members are constructing their projects I have been taken with the idea of making things modular and upgradeable. Basically create one case with all the connectors and the guts can change and evolve over time with different components. Very similar to what I have been doing forever with computers. Buy a very very nice case, mod it to be close to perfect, and them just do components upgrades over the years using the same enclosure.

Most prominent example of what I am thinking of comes from Beefy and his Buffalo DAC:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6258890-post6120.html

I would like to take things a step further and use terminal blocks on every connection that would lead to an off pcb connection. I know lots of designs use terminal blocks for power connections. I would like to use some type of connector not only for power but also digital signals, analog, and amplified.

Twisted Pear Buffalo II Prototype using terminal blocks:
buffii.jpg

AMB Labs e22 backplane for 3-channel b22 builds using Molex connectors:
e22-2.jpg

Would terminal blocks be a good choice for line level connections?
Are the Molex connectors with gold contacts superior (like used in the B22s) ?

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back