Modular cable systems (Hart Audio and others ?)
Oct 19, 2020 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Jose Hidalgo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

As many people here know, the problem with headphone cables is... what to do with them when you're not actually using them ?

Assuming you have more than one pair of headphones (and that you take care of them), surely you will store them somewhere (on headphone stands, yoga bricks, whatever). Now you have four choices :
  1. You store them each WITH their (usually long) cable
    • It may be a hassle : the cans fit nicely on their stands/bricks, but not the long cables
    • You have to disconnect the cable from your source every time, which may result in bad contacts in the long run
  2. You store them WITHOUT their cable
    • You have to disconnect the cable from the headphones every time, which may result in bad contacts in the long run too, especially with some delicate/proprietary connectors
    • The cable remains on the source, and then you may have to remove it anyway if you need to plug in another pair of headphones
  3. You store them WITHOUT their cable AND you store the cable separately
    • Same bad contacts problem as before, multiplied by two (on the headphones side and on the source side)
OR...

4. You have modular cables like these ones :smiley: :

SplitStddifference_4b6f4292-b274-4353-8e7b-ee6cb21ee2a4_720x.jpg

These cables are a real solution to all the previous problems, since they're made of two parts, connected in the middle by usually a 4-pin XLR which is a rugged connector, easy to plug/unplug. One part stays always connected to the source, and the other part stays always connected to the headphones. It's even better when you have several headphones : You can have one single interconnect permanently plugged in your amp, and as many headphone cables as you want, permanently plugged on your headphones ! It's brilliant IMHO. :)

I've found some nice modular cables at Hart Audio. If some of you didn't know about them already, check their website. You can design your cables from A to Z and beyond : custom connectors, custom lengths, hundreds of custom colors, they do everything you may desire ! :grinning: I guess there's nothing bad to say about them.

Only downside for me before placing a custom order with them, is the fact that they're located in the US. They do ship internationally, but I'm worried about shipping costs + customs taxes (I've had some bad experiences in the past). So I wonder if there are similar modular headphone cable suppliers in Europe. There probably are, right ? Any links ? :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 37
Thanks for your insight. Do your 32 € include shipping, or is it only customs ?
I'd need to order 2 interconnects (4 ft each) + 3 headphone cables (18" each), so my order should weight about the same as yours.
The total amount should be 30 $ x 2 + 27 $ x 3 = 141 $, excluding shipping and customs. That's the part I'd like to know before ordering.

Of course it would be easier if there was another modular cable manufacturer located in Europe. I can't believe that there isn't any. :thinking:

As for Hart Cables, I love what they do. There is only one thing that disturbs me : the slack/clearance (don't know the exact word) between the cable and the connectors, which makes them be able to wiggle and can be bad in the long run. That's the part that doesn't look "professional" to me :

2020.10.17 - 03.08.23.png

I wish Hart could add some kind of plastic cap or thermo-tape to their connectors, to make that part more rigid. Like this for instance.

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 37
Mar 7, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #11 of 37
I've bought a half-dozen cables and as many adapters from Hart. So far I am impressed with the workmanship. I only have factory provided cables from Sennheiser, Focal, Hifiman, etc. to compare to and I can't discern an audible difference.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 37
Two quick questions about Hart Audio Cables:
  1. Does anyone have experience with their 90-degree (90° / right-angle) plug-heads ? It appears that they have no strain-relief measures. Has anyone found this to be an issue?
  2. Anyone use one of their right-angle plugs with the Direct headphone jack on iFi iDSD Nano Black Label ? Good fit ?
Thanks!

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #14 of 37
Hey guys, James from Hart Audio Cables here. I remember seeing this thread months ago, and then we got an email from ChrisPDX regarding this, so I thought it might be best to just go here and address some of this so I can sleep better.

Regarding jose hidalgo’s post about the “wiggle” or clearance of the cable: The cables in the video he referred to are from a few revs back. Currently the cavity between the casing of the connector and the cable is filled to the edge of the casing. On longer cables, the heat shrink will stick out from the connector ¼”. I do want to mention that we have no failure data to suggest that on the older revs, or the newer revs, the space in the cavity being filled or the amount of heat shrink on the cable, has any effect on the life / performance of the product. That is to say, we fill the space in the casings on our newest design revs and have heat shrink visible on some cables for perception or cosmetic reasons (because threads / posts like this give me nightmares haha), not because it has any measurable effect on performance.

I hope this makes sense/helps. If you guys have any other questions please don’t message me here, email is definitely the best way to get ahold of us <3

contact@hartaudiocables.com

P.S. As I mentioned to Chris in our email, the thought is if you’re relying on heat shrink for your strain relief on your cables, you’re gonna have a bad time.

May 29, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 37
Think Audioverse in Germany makes Customcables too, but is more of a boutique aproach if im not mistaken.
So youll have to pay more and dont know if he has such a nice interconnect System like Hart Audio Cables :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back