Mods for KSC75 headphones
May 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pmartel

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone transplanted a pair of KSC75's into a set of safety ear covers?? I'm thinking on doing that with mine.

The ear clips are horribly uncomfortable & isolation is minimal. I should think it should be easy to do & would substanially improve the sound??

May 9, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmartel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone transplanted a pair of KSC75's into a set of safety ear covers?? I'm thinking on doing that with mine.

The ear clips are horribly uncomfortable & isolation is minimal. I should think it should be easy to do & would substanially improve the sound??

It's certainly capable of being done, and depending on how handy you are with your tools, it shouldn't be very difficult to do.

However, there is no guarantee that there will be improvement in the sound. This is entirely dependent on what you would consider an improvement in the sound, and also, is dependent on the actual safety covers you would use. As an example, my room mate and I have done 3 separate transplants of the KSC-75s into three different enclosures: A pair of cheap circumaural headphones that I can't even remember the brand of, a pair of HD-201 enclosures and a pair of Sony V-150 enclosures. Both of us agreed that the cheap phones were a horrible enclosure and ruined the sound of the phones. However, we have differing opinions on the other two pairs. Both of us noticed a boomier, slightly muddier bass with the V-150 enclosures, but while I felt this ruined the SQ as well, he preferred the sound and thought it made it better. With the HD-201, there was a slight drop in the bass which I preferred and he did not. Of course both of us went on to modify the designs again. He punched a few holes in the outer cups of the V-150 to turn them into open headphones and IMO improved the sound, bringing it closer to the original KSC75. I lined the inside of the HD-201 with blu-tak which tightened up and increased the bass. I liked the tighter bass but not the increase in bass, which he actually liked again.

To make the long story short, different things will cause the SQ to change differently and difference in opinion of what makes good SQ will probably affect your opinion of the SQ as well. I say go ahead and try it. The KSC-75 are cheap enough that you can mod away and buy another pair if you ruin them or don't like the end result.

May 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, will consider that. I also thought about transplanting them into a pair of Sennheiser HD433's which have a nasty top end on them. This could be an interesting project

May 9, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Putting ksc driver in a closed enclosure is a bad idea. There is only two mods that are easy and worth it. the headband mod(AKA ghetto portapro mod) and the kramer mod (free the driver)

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 7
Putting ksc driver in a closed enclosure is a bad idea. There is only two mods that are easy and worth it. the headband mod(AKA ghetto portapro mod) and the kramer mod (free the driver)

You could also just stick the drivers in an actual Portapro/Sportapro headband, replacing the stock foam earpads with PX200 earpads, and achieve favorable results.

2017-06-13-013355.jpg

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 7
i made 2 several sets of headphones out of ear defenders and ksc-75s, they are brilliant. also made a bluetooth one using csr8645 chip in an old bilsom 737.
IMG_20190226_102702.jpg
IMG_20190226_102523.jpg
IMG_20190226_102623.jpg

if you use Bilsom/Howard Leight earmuffs you can fit HM5 pads on them as you can remove the bit where the pad goes and pop it back, bit tight but fits nicely.
This is my work headphones, it has a 900mah 18350 battery which lasts for the whole week easily (~40hrs) so i only have to charge it once a week.

I give you some more info if you interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back