Mods For AKG k701 Headband
Jan 2, 2010 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

T_Schmidt

New Head-Fier
I've read in various other threads that some k701 owners have tie-strapped the headband or wrapped it with a soft material to alleviate some of the discomfort.
Just curious as to what other k701 owners (Or any other set of cans, for that matter) have done to make the headband a little more comfortable for those long sessions.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 6
If you are willing to do a DRASTIC mod to take care of the comfort issue for good, then go to this post posted by me here many months ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ive...-k701s-422868/

I will warn you in advance though, it's not for the faint of the heart
tongue.gif
, and you'll also be killing the resale value of this for good. But it does take care of this issue permanently and most effectively.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 6
Hey K19, thanks for the idea. I can't believe that I didn't find your thread through search, I dug around for quite some time. Anyway, after reading your thread I really think I'm gonna go for it (your mod) for the added comfort. I can never forsee myself selling the 701s, so resale value is not an issue. Now it's gonna be much easier to pull off those long late-night mixdown critiques.

Regarding comfort, do you ever regret having cut off the humps??

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 6
Nope, if I had the chance to do it all over again, I would without hesitation. Before the surgery I couldn't wear the thing for any more than 20 minutes because of the center bump pressure, and now I can listen to those for hours without any concerns with comfort. You could re-finish it with leather or some sort of thin foam if you wanted too, if you are concerned about the ugliness of the bottom (and even after half a year or so I still haven't got around to covering it up... it was never really a big concern of mine) and if you wanted to add some extra padding there.

Just be careful you don't knife the headband leather itself, and the bumps should come off pretty easy.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by GotWAF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be doing this as well. I am looking at attaching a headband pad from a Sennheiser HD600. You can buy the padded band from Sennheiser for about $9.00.

Wow serious ?
Man, that would be a sweet mod !
I wonder if Sennheiser Singapore sells them
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back