ModMic Alternatives?
Nov 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

devilmonk

100+ Head-Fier
Modmic seems cool, but I don't want some metal thing sticking out of my headphones. The shiny magnet doesn't really help, but I guess I could just colour that black with a marker.  It's also gotten pretty expensive (used to be able to get it for $30, now its $50.

Any alternatives with similar sound quality? I've been looking into zalman, but its over $25 in Canada, and I don't really think its worth that much after listening to the soundtest.

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 14
Just heard a soundtest on youtube, seems good and fits great for my purposes! Just making sure before I order, its these right?

http://www.amazon.ca/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK

Sorry if its a dumb question, new to good headphones, but will there be any sound quality loss with using a different cable?

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 14
K, so commenting now that I have it, the soundmagic's sleeve is too think/small for the v moda boom mic. Just letting anyone know that has a soundmagic hp150.

I shaved off some of the mic's connector (not the jack of course, the part holding the jack) and managed to make it fit perfectly somehow. But of course I wouldn't recommend others do this lol

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 14
Oh no! I didn't foresee that happening. The V-Moda connector is pretty slim so I didn't imagine it wouldn't fit in any headphone with a 3.5mm input. I'm glad you got it to work.

Otherwise, how are you liking it?

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 14
The mic quality is amazing. It picks up some background noise, but after experimenting I got most of it away (60% volume with microphone boost seems like the best)

I really like the cable, its light and feels strong. The ones that came with the Soundmagic's were very thick and heavy. No change in audio quality btw. The volume has some nice resistance to it, don't think it'll accidentally slide up/down.

One thing I noticed (kinda funny), I use mumble as a voice chat with my friends, and when I press the mute button (on the cable) he can hear himself through my mic.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 14
That's kind of weird that you would hear yourself through the mic when it's muted. I use mine with my Astro MixAmp and XB1 and don't have that issue. If I muted myself often that would drive me absolutely nuts. 

I'm glad you got it working properly. The modmic's sound quality is great, but I had to get rid of mine because having 2 cables run to my headphones was just too annoying to me. I did a detachable cable mod on my DT990 so I could use the Boom Pro.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 14
Well, if you can live with a large mic on your desk, a good desktop usb condenser mic will almost always beat everything else. Then again, the V Moda is probably the best mic of it's kind under $30. I'd say save up a bit more and get the ModMic, it sounds just as good as a Condenser IMO.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 14
I had a modmic and the cable just wasnt worth it to me. I asked my friends online if they could tell a difference in the sound quality between the Boom Pro and my old modmic and they said they didn't notice a change. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 14
Think u misunderstood, my voice doesn't transmit. Problem is when my friend speaks, he'll hear himself talking through my mic. Idk if the problem is that the mute button activates some stereo thing, or if its a problem within mumble software, but the whole idea is kinda funny imo.

The reason I didn't want a desktop mic was because it would pickup my keyboard/mouse clicks, and probably the fan too. And didn't get the modmic was for the reason I stated earlier - the small,shiny metal thing sticking out of the headphones making it unsymmetrical. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back