Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #2,762 of 3,042
Is there any risk to bypassing the relays?

Sony didn't have relays for ZX507 and ZX300.
Those would be transistors based and not relay based. Sony engineers went over this a while ago.

1/ transistors based when switched on will have the noises into the headphones itself, you will hear it. Many people don’t like it this way. Relay based will have physical clicks with some noises into the headphones but less intrusive and with better sound performances.
2/ switching the relay is a “mute on demand” function. When the ring before the L+ detected the changes in continuity or so (unsure)....the player switched to Mute On. That means no other components can be temporarily surged or shorted Out upon plugging and unplugging you’re headphones. This protects both the player and the head voice coils. Sony always has the socket detections function at the socket connection.

Ofcourse, by passing the relay will be giving the best sound quality possible, but you just gotta pay attentions at what you are doing, such as minimizing plug/unplugging....or turn off and wait for a bit before unplugging. Then plugged in while the player is off, and turned on the player after plugged in ?

anyways, since you asked. I just pointed the technical out, but it could be OCD in many cases :wink:. This may sound bothersome, but it can’t be anymore bothersome than the ritual to be preparing your vinyl system for a listening sessions that last 20 minutes :wink: After all, not many people damaged their amps or phones this way

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #2,763 of 3,042
I got lazy and never connected my Single ended connection. I never use it.
So don't know if it's an always balanced connection or not.
I am sure I'll get back to finishing that when I have the time at some point.
It's not always on, as it looks like there is also an electronic switch on/off of the SE/Blanced internal amps. Plug in Balanced, and the relay operates first, but the sound is not at the earphone for 1-2 secs. The same when unplugging the Balanced, the SE output has a delay after the relay operates, before there is sound at the earphone.

Removing the relay, no idea what will happen. Depends on whether the relay is used to only break the output path, or is used to switch from SE to Balanced.
I believe it is used to switch from SE to Balanced, as the relay will operate, but there is still no sound. If the relay circuit was designed to suppress clicks on amp turn on, then the sound should be immediate, as soon as the relay operates. (amp turn on, then relay operates to connect the path, so if this is what is intended, then the sound will come on as soon as the relay operates)
Edit: If the relay is used to switch from SE to Balanced, then removing the relay will lose the signal to the SE, unless there is a direct connection from the coil to the SE also. This will need to be verified on a player with the relay removed.

Plus I do not see any danger, regardless of which function the relay is serving. The original introduction of the turn on thump suppression relay was to handle the situation of where the amp volume was turned on high when the amp was powered on. A rare case, though you could stipulate was possible, if your kid played with the volume knob. Of course there is nothing to stop the kid playing with the knob when the amplifier was on. The relay was a sound degrading addition to the circuit which became "de rigeur" for all amps, as the salesmen hyped it.

Standard practice to check that the volume is turned down before powering up the amp was always fine before.

I should add that did happen to me. The maid was cleaning the amp, and wound up turning the volume all the way up. I turned on the amp (without checking the volume), and it came on and blew the tweeter on a irreplaceable Spendor LS35A speaker. The relay protection would have delayed the blown tweeter for about 3 secs.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #2,764 of 3,042
It is the same as DMP Z1. The relay operates first, but the socket plugging detection detected the connections and “Mute function“ is switched on automatically for a couple seconds. On Walkman, there is no LED to indicate this Mute function, you will see it on DMP Z1

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #2,765 of 3,042
It is the same as DMP Z1. The relay operates first, but the socket plugging detection detected the connections and “Mute function“ is switched on automatically for a couple seconds. On Walkman, there is no LED to indicate this Mute function, you will see it on DMP Z1

This is off topic, but what are the green LEDs for on the TA? They seem to stay on inside.

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #2,766 of 3,042
Back capacitor placement.
20200817_020551.jpg

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #2,768 of 3,042
Aug 17, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #2,769 of 3,042
Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2,770 of 3,042
Please allow @Morbideath and @Whitigir some time to relax. They have been busting ass for a while and still have work to do
Can i ask you wy the updater doesnt see the wm1a connected ,i have 3.02 but the updater keep saying 'connect the target device to a pc with usb cable' i did explorer see the dap but not the uodater.
Thank you very much for the time.

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #2,771 of 3,042
Can i ask you wy the updater doesnt see the wm1a connected ,i have 3.02 but the updater keep saying 'connect the target device to a pc with usb cable' i did explorer see the dap but not the uodater.
Thank you very much for the time.
I think you are using the wrong region firmware. Using the region that your player has at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back