Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #76 of 3,042
Oh no! I have to say thank you for sharing this!!! I was....pulling out my hairs to try and look to improve these sections as described....all my technical knowledges were at it limit as nothing could be done anymore. I was thinking firmware, and I am horrible with program and coding LOL....

You shared this right at the time I needed it!! Thank you very much !!

Deleted. Pls refer to my original post for the whole file list.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-2152#post-15484593

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #77 of 3,042
The reality is that there is no perfect DAP and everyone has their own preferences and expectations on what they want and need from their player.

The misconception from some folks is that pple who mod their players "think that they can do a better job" than the engineers who designed and developed the products. I do not think that any modders out there are trying to displace the original product designers or state that what they have is superior to the stock product. Rather, they provide customization to folks like me who love the base product but would want certain tweaks to meet their preferences and needs.

I love the stock 1Z but as I tested other TOTL players, I wanted more resolution and stage width. Instead of buying another player which does not meet all my needs, the next best option is take an existing player which satisfies 80-90% or what I need and tweak the last 10-20%. What can be more efficient and cost effective than that? That's where MS came into the picture and provided a solution to what I needed from the 1Z. Bimmers and mercs customers spend tons on options to customize their cars to their personal needs and I do not hear anyone complaining. Infact in almost all consumer industries I know of, customization is a huge want. No one is forcing anyone to accept the mods as superior changes, but in life, its always good to have options.

Hmm I think maybe the problem lies with the word "modfiying"; we should use "customization" instead! :gs1000smile:

Will see maybe Il send my zx507 to Ms to try some mods lol as a start.

I still holding back here on the mod haha

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #78 of 3,042
Feb 26, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #80 of 3,042
@Morbideath - i agree with your assessment of Theatre 1.02. it is my new favorite of all the ones you have gifted to us. now the desire to figure out what hardware mod i should explore (and the funds to make it happen) is bubbling up from within

How do u assess Theatre's soundstage and bass? Compared with DMP1.02 and stock 3.02?
Thank you

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #82 of 3,042
definite increase in width over stock, a bit more treble sparkle and tighter bass than DMP 1.02.

I was listening with Moondrop S8 on 4.4mm .

Haha, glad you like it!
Im looking for stronger bass quantity so the recent few do not suit me too much.
My hardware already offers enough resolution so too much information retrieved will sound harsh on my side. I love D1.02 for its silky smooth treble and D1.01 for its deep firm bass.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #83 of 3,042
Oh man, I want to stay at home and play with these firmwares today. I've got a wm1a and wm1z do lots of experiments to do. Also, I use the wm1a for work and wm1z for home. Perhaps I'd want the wm1a firmware on the less fatiguing side as it's used for hours a day in work

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #84 of 3,042
Oh man, I want to stay at home and play with these firmwares today. I've got a wm1a and wm1z do lots of experiments to do. Also, I use the wm1a for work and wm1z for home. Perhaps I'd want the wm1a firmware on the less fatiguing side as it's used for hours a day in work
Come on, get started, what are you waiting for.:)

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #85 of 3,042
Oh no! I have to say thank you for sharing this!!! I was....pulling out my hairs to try and look to improve these sections as described....all my technical knowledges were at it limit as nothing could be done anymore. I was thinking firmware, and I am horrible with program and coding LOL....

You shared this right at the time I needed it!! Thank you very much !!
1- The 1000000 dollar question does it sounds nearer DMP Z1?
2- can you guys do an ultimate wider version with ver deep subbass rumble?
3- Awesome work! it will be awesome to learn how does one do its own config!
4- club and theater are very diferent to the rest! they have the most reverb right?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #87 of 3,042
Haha, glad you like it!
Im looking for stronger bass quantity so the recent few do not suit me too much.
My hardware already offers enough resolution so too much information retrieved will sound harsh on my side. I love D1.02 for its silky smooth treble and D1.01 for its deep firm bass.

D1.02 sounds the best to me on the MS 24-wire K-mod 1Z. I was not able to pair the EA Horus with the IER-Z1R previously due to the high resolution on the player and the analytical nature of Horus although I loved the depth, imaging and layering that the Horus brings to the table. D1.02 added body+amazingly smooth treble and the pairing of the Horus and Z1R is oh so good now. Music just flows and flows... so fluid

Soundstage has expanded significantly which has benefited Jazz, instruments; classical and even pop genres. I feel surrounded by music and seriously there is nothing more I can ask for now.

Totally transformed the player. Amazing pc of work!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #88 of 3,042
well the honeymoon with Theatre 1.02 is over and i am back to DMP-Z1 1.02

Theatre 1.02 is good, but DMP-Z1 1.02 is smooth and accurate with enough width for my liking.

now to enjoy the music and my refreshed WM-1A

the resolving power of my Moondrop S8 helped me determine what sounded best (although I was Truckin' towards that conclusion anyway)

screenshot_20200226_093045658.png

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #89 of 3,042
D1.02 sounds the best to me on the MS 24-wire K-mod 1Z. I was not able to pair the EA Horus with the IER-Z1R previously due to the high resolution on the player and the analytical nature of Horus although I loved the depth, imaging and layering that the Horus brings to the table. D1.02 added body+amazingly smooth treble and the pairing of the Horus and Z1R is oh so good now. Music just flows and flows... so fluid

Soundstage has expanded significantly which has benefited Jazz, instruments; classical and even pop genres. I feel surround by music and seriously there is nothing more I can ask for now.

Totally transformed the player. Amazing pc of work!

I love D1.02 too, especially for classical music. But im a metalhead so 1.01 fits me more for that evil genre.

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #90 of 3,042
well the honeymoon with Theatre 1.02 is over and i am back to DMP-Z1 1.02

Theatre 1.02 is good, but DMP-Z1 1.02 is smooth and accurate with enough width for my liking.

now to enjoy the music and my refreshed WM-1A

the resolving power of my Moondrop S8 helped me determine what sounded best (although I was Truckin' towards that conclusion anyway)

screenshot_20200226_093045658.png

Seem i need to update my post go recommend everyone to try D1.02 first haha. It's a direct port of official stock DMP1.02 so it's perhaps more polished and "correct" sounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back