Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #3,016 of 3,042
Finally I got around to updating my K-Mod WM1Z to Mr.Walkman's DMP-WM1_FE. The first listen is quite good. Does it require some time to settle down? Any inputs are appreciated. Thanks.
Custom firmwares don’t need to settle. You will be able to hear the difference immediately. So if you don’t like what you hear it’s not gonna change.

Well, there's always the "brain burn-in" thing - so just give it a good several hours listen. Over this time you may realize that there are more things that sound better, for example.

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #3,017 of 3,042
all firmwares sound the same to me, mood makes the differences.

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #3,018 of 3,042
all firmwares sound the same to me, mood makes the differences.

That's curious. Have you actually tried DMP-WM1 FE? No matter the mood, I'm always amazed by how my WM1A sounds now, especially when paired together with the Sony Z7M2.

Otherwise, there's a category of people which can't even notice differences between these players and a smartphone, for example, and the difference in sound with DMP-WM1 FE is quite obvious, really. There's nothing wrong with that by the way.

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #3,020 of 3,042
Mymt walkmqn is i with me at he hospitql.. my retina derached again
Hey man, get well soon and hope your vision will not be negatively impacted in the long term!
2021.. the only way is up! :joy:

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #3,022 of 3,042
Dec 31, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #3,024 of 3,042
Mymt walkmqn is i with me at he hospitql.. my retina derached again
So sorry to hear that. Best of luck and sending well wishes your way.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #3,025 of 3,042
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #3,026 of 3,042
Feb 2, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #3,027 of 3,042
For interested people (that may not be aware of the other thread), an update to the DMP-WM1 FE custom firmware was released.

The most interesting addition is of two boot modes, which has an effect on the rendition of the sound signature.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/post-16123520

Around a dozen days later, Project Z became available (probably one of the last WM1 releases for some time).

Project Z is a custom firmware for the WM1A/WM1Z players, combining sound
characteristics of the WM1Z and DMP-Z1 sound signatures for a warm thick sound,
yet clear, precise, and detailed, with an increased analogue feeling, all wrapped in a
holographic presentation (especially in the "Plus" boot mode).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/post-16150236

A small/funny representation:
project-z.gif

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #3,028 of 3,042
Around a dozen days later, Project Z became available (probably one of the last WM1 releases for some time).

Project Z is a custom firmware for the WM1A/WM1Z players, combining sound
characteristics of the WM1Z and DMP-Z1 sound signatures for a warm thick sound,
yet clear, precise, and detailed, with an increased analogue feeling, all wrapped in a
holographic presentation (especially in the "Plus" boot mode).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/post-16150236

A small/funny representation:
project-z.gif
Have tested it i can confirm its even better than all prevoius custom FW... really good release.... it has better 3D cues and awesome bass

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #3,029 of 3,042
I recomend everyne to take a liten to Z project in MX3 Dolby Atmos format also.. i can confirm plus mode has a huge and WELL MADE reverb
Z project its the first release that acually sounds very natural Not borring and it has Sony signature on it, also it does not suffer from any veil to my hearing, it has taunt bass! thanks Mr. walkman!

Mini Firmware review (Via SE low gain used)
Classic mode
, analog very acurate not borring non fatiguing sound!
Best if you are looking for bass and messing with DSP effects! FW gain its right on spot...

Plus mode Huge reverb sound like a cathederal best if you want to leave DSP off and need more volume... elevated GAIN wich makes it sound better on low level recordings! or at lower player volumes, might be perfect for opera sounds and classic music!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #3,030 of 3,042
just realised that the main 1A/1Z thread has been closed for months, I wasn't active on there since the talks of modding Fw started coming up and now it's gone?
were looking for price recommendation for a WM1A and whether 625 usd is good for a used one of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back