Modifying the Sonic Impact T-Amp & 41Hz AMP6
Oct 2, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #16 of 29
Well this is where I'm with this project as of tonight:

dsc01283po1.jpg

dsc01287yt3.jpg

All I have left to do is the wiring and staining the oak.

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well this is where I'm with this project as of tonight:

dsc01283po1.jpg

dsc01287yt3.jpg

All I have left to do is the wiring and staining the oak.

simply beautiful.

gychang

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where'd all the caps go?

The big filter cap won't be used since the amp's going to be powered by an external regulated power supply. The smaller ecap isn't installed yet, but it's going to be mounted horizontally underneath the board.

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For power I'm using a Pyramid PS-9KX which supplies 13.8VDC at 5A. I would get something that can supply at least an amp continuous. I like the Pyramid models because they're easy to find, cheap for the power level, and are versatile due to the binding posts. The PS-3KX can be found for under $20.

can u recommend a web site?

thanks,

gychang

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gychang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can u recommend a web site?

thanks,

gychang

Since you-re in Irvine, just going to the Fry's Electronics in Fountain Valley would be your best bet to get a Pyramid PS. JK Electronics in Westminster has them also, plus they know what they're talking about unlike the clueless salesmen at Fry's.

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #22 of 29
I really haven't gotten much done on this in the last two weeks due to classes, but I'm on the homestretch now. All I have left to do is solder all the various connections to the AMP6 PCB and build the power umbilical cord. I had to remake the heatsink bracket because I slipped and scratched it in a very visible area and I also remade the shaft coupler to be a bit longer.

dsc01297kb6.jpg

dsc01301bo2.jpg

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #24 of 29
Finally, the long over due update on this project. Long story short, I did eventually end up finishing the AMP6 project, but unfortunately the left channel had 13VDC on its output when I fired it up. I'm still not exactly sure what the issue is. All the component orientations and values were triple checked during assembly. I handled the assembled PCB quite a bit while doing the heatsink bracket layout so I'm thinking that something might have been taken out by an electrostatic discharge. It could of also been a defective chip. Either way I pretty much gave up on it due to the massive disappointment. Looking back on it I really should have tested the assembled amp before I soldered it all into the chassis. Lesson learned.
wink.gif

This is just a bit further along than the pics above.
dsc01303yu9.jpg

Here's the fully assembled board.
dsc01310qx4.jpg

dsc01312dl7.jpg

Here's the board soldered into the chassis.
dsc01315ml6.jpg

And finally here's the "completed" amp.
dsc01433ii2.jpg

dsc01435sh9.jpg

dsc01437mc0.jpg

At this point I'm not too sure what I'm going to do with this. I might just go the easy route and build another AMP6 board to replace this one to get it working. Or I might just sell this as is and move on. I have a few other projects cooking right now so I have no idea when this will become a priority again.

Of course this was originally for a friend so I ended up building him another AMP6 to replace this one. I'll post the details and pics of that project soon.

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #25 of 29
Here's the final amp that ended up going out to my friend. It's a simple build using a Hammond cast AL project box, ALPS Blue Velvet pot, Mundorf M-Cap input caps, Connex binding posts, Calrad RCA Jacks, and Neotech PVC wire throughout. And the best thing about this one is that it actually worked normally on the first power up.
smile.gif

dsc01460tq1.jpg

dsc01470kj0.jpg

dsc01472on5.jpg

dsc01474yd6.jpg

dsc01476np0.jpg

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #26 of 29
i am wanting to build the amp6 exactly like yours. Im new to the DIY amp build so can you point me in the right direction as to how you wired up your input selector? It looks lik a DPDT toggle but the extra 3legs coming off the back are throwing me for a loop. Also when wiring in the volume pot, how was that done? I searched all over and coulndt find exactly how you did it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sweet chassis and build btw. Inspiring to us all!

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigh4life /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am wanting to build the amp6 exactly like yours. Im new to the DIY amp build so can you point me in the right direction as to how you wired up your input selector? It looks lik a DPDT toggle but the extra 3legs coming off the back are throwing me for a loop. Also when wiring in the volume pot, how was that done? I searched all over and coulndt find exactly how you did it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sweet chassis and build btw. Inspiring to us all!

Thanks for the comments.
beerchug.gif
For the input selector I used a 3PDT switch since I wanted to also switch grounds to eliminate any possible ground loops. As for how it's wired, I did the same in my Xiang Sheng amp here, about halfway into post #3.

For the vol pot I just connected it the standard way. What might be confusing from the pics is that the grounds of the two wipers are connected together by a little copper jumper. So basically the single shared ground wire from the RCA jacks comes into the pot, is then bridged to both channels/wipers of the pot via the jumper, and the a single (gray in the pics) ground wire goes out to the PCB of the amp. Also the U-shaped loop of wire wedged in between the pins of the pot in the first pic was just a spacer to keep the ground jumper and signal wires from falling down too far while soldering.

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #28 of 29
Hi I am Derek's 'friend' who is the proud owner of the amp6 build...what a surprise to see the post up on headfi.

I have had the amp for maybe 6 months now; it is one sweet little music maker. My source is a laptop to hotaudio mk4 dac to the amp6 or my xenos headamp and then out either to seens 580s or a homemade speaker; the bandits....using tang bang 4in fullrange speaker in a double bass reflex design.

The amp sounds wonderful, however it does put out quite enough umph for the speakers ( 87db sens.) speakers with sens of 91 db or greater will be much louder. But its in a small room and it usually is loud enough for me.

I really apprec Derek dedication to quality in the amp build thanks bro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back