modifying Sony SRF-S84, urgen help needed
Nov 20, 2004 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

G.H.

Head-Fier
Anyone here have experience of following Xin's Sony SRF-S84 modification? I am completely newbie to soldering capacitor, and Xin's guide isnt "fool proof".

1. First of all, what kind of capacitor do I need from Radio Shack?
http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Sear...itor&pagenum=0
I can find 100, 220 and 470µF at 50V, but I cannt find 330µF that Xin is using, can i use 470µF? and the radio uses 1.5V, I dont know if 50V will work?

2. which capacitor do i have to replace??? Xin said just replace 2 100µF and 1 220µF, but I see 3 100µF in the before picture, and do i have to do anything to 100µF in the after picture?

before
srfs83.htm_txt_srf-s83t.gif

after
srfs83.htm_txt_bigcaps.gif

3. do i need a polarized capacitor? if yes, how do I know which ping is positve and which ping is negative? and which ping goes to which hole?

4. I am completely newbie to soldering, how do i solder????

I want to modify SRF-S84 by myself, can anyone help me?

Nov 20, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by G.H.
Anyone here have experience of following Xin's Sony SRF-S84 modification? I am completely newbie to soldering capacitor, and Xin's guide isnt "fool proof".

Maybe you should practice with a PCB from some broken device just to make sure nothing goes wrong with the SRF-S84 -- I would be quite nervous when dealing with such a small board...
Quote:

1. First of all, what kind of capacitor do I need from Radio Shack?
http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Sear...itor&pagenum=0
I can find 100, 220 and 470µF at 50V, but I cannt find 330µF that Xin is using, can i use 470µF? and the radio uses 1.5V, I dont know if 50V will work?

Yes, it would work, 50V denotes the maximum voltage the capacitor can deal with, and more capacitance wouldn't do any harm either. But you should order the super small capacitors Xin mentions in his article because otherwise the case won't close and you would have a hard time fitting them between the other components. OTOH, if you don't clip the capacitors' legs and place them above the other components, you could use even larger sizes. But then it would be totally impossible to use the original case.
Quote:

2. which capacitor do i have to replace??? Xin said just replace 2 100µF and 1 220µF, but I see 3 100µF in the before picture, and do i have to do anything to 100µF in the after picture?

I may be wrong, but I think you have to replace three 100 µF and one 220 µF capacitors, as marked in the "before" picture. The 100 µF capacitor in the "after" picture seems to be left untouched.
Quote:

3. do i need a polarized capacitor? if yes, how do I know which ping is positve and which ping is negative? and which ping goes to which hole?

Electrolytic capacitors are always polarized. The negative side is marked on the outside, usually there is a white stripe with the minus symbol in it. The length of the legs also gives away polarity, but I can never remember for sure whether the longer leg is minus or plus (minus, I think).
Quote:

As I said, practice with something that's not valuable. There are many soldering tutorials on the web. To have someone teach it to you or learn it with a good book is even better IMO.

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by till
Electrolytic capacitors are always polarized.

woah there... there are indeed non-polarized electrolytic caps

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

But you should order the super small capacitors Xin mentions in his article because otherwise the case won't close and you would have a hard time fitting them between the other components.

Thanks for replying, you mean the P959-ND and P954-ND from DigiKey? I dont think it is worth to order them from U.S. to Canada, with shipping and custom. But you got the point, 470µF from Radio Shack looks pretty big to me. Do you think I can solder it few centimeter above the board and bend it side way, in a way that the capacitor is lay down on the board, instead of standing up?

Nov 21, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
woah there... there are indeed non-polarized electrolytic caps

Whoops! Didn't know that, sorry.
Quote:

Thanks for replying, you mean the P959-ND and P954-ND from DigiKey? I dont think it is worth to order them from U.S. to Canada, with shipping and custom. But you got the point, 470µF from Radio Shack looks pretty big to me. Do you think I can solder it few centimeter above the board and bend it side way, in a way that the capacitor is lay down on the board, instead of standing up?

If the case will allow for that, yes. But maybe it would be less hassle to order a modified S84 from Xin directly, just a suggestion...

Nov 21, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

The length of the legs also gives away polarity, but I can never remember for sure whether the longer leg is minus or plus (minus, I think).

If I remember correctly, longer leg is positive.

Nov 22, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

I want to modify SRF-S84 by myself, can anyone help me?

Velleman makes several soldering starter kits. They include a soldering iron solder and a few simple kits to practice soldering with. I'd do this, or practice replacing parts on something broken before jumping into your SRF.

Here is a link to a Canadian Vendor selling the kits:

http://www.mainelectronics.com/kiltsvelleman.htm

Scroll down to K/Start2 and K/StartU

Disclaimer: I've never done business with Main Electronics and know nothing about them.

Nov 22, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer
Velleman makes several soldering starter kits. They include a soldering iron solder and a few simple kits to practice soldering with. I'd do this, or practice replacing parts on something broken before jumping into your SRF.

Thanks, the link is just what I need. I will practice for sure.

http://www.mainelectronics.com/capsrad.htm

Now, which capacitor should I get?

10R220 220 mfd X 10V Radial 85 Degree
10R300 300 mfd X 10V Radial 85 Degree
10R470 470 mfd X 10V Radial 85 Degree

6RLP220 220 mfd X 6.3V Radial Low Profile
6RLP330 330 mfd X 6.3V RADIAL LOW PROFILE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back