modifying Sony SRF-S84, urgen help needed
Nov 20, 2004 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

G.H.

Head-Fier
Anyone here have experience of following Xin's Sony SRF-S84 modification? I am completely newbie to soldering capacitor, and Xin's guide isnt "fool proof".

1. First of all, what kind of capacitor do I need from Radio Shack?
http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Sear...itor&pagenum=0
I can find 100, 220 and 470µF at 50V, but I cannt find 330µF that Xin is using, can i use 470µF? and the radio uses 1.5V, I dont know if 50V will work?

2. which capacitor do i have to replace??? Xin said just replace 2 100µF and 1 220µF, but I see 3 100µF in the before picture, and do i have to do anything to 100µF in the after picture?

before
srfs83.htm_txt_srf-s83t.gif

after
srfs83.htm_txt_bigcaps.gif

3. do i need a polarized capacitor? if yes, how do I know which ping is positve and which ping is negative? and which ping goes to which hole?

4. I am completely newbie to soldering, how do i solder????

I want to modify SRF-S84 by myself, can anyone help me?

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 6
You should ask in the DIY forum, you'd get more help.
biggrin.gif

As for soldering, just do google search on "how to solder" or something like that, it's how I learned.

Nov 21, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Xin is probably using low profile, 5mm Panasonic polarized electrolytic capacitors. I think these are available from DigiKey. I do not think Radio Shack has any capacitor type that can be used and will fit.

When replacing the capacitors note the position of the thick white stripe going down the side of the capactior -- this is the side with the negative polarity
lead.

Try practicing soldering on piece of worthless, non-working, junk electronics.

Use a low wattage iron with a fine tip.

Paul

Nov 21, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
Xin is probably using low profile, 5mm Panasonic polarized electrolytic capacitors. I think these are available from DigiKey. I do not think Radio Shack has any capacitor type that can be used and will fit.

Xin is using P959-ND and P954-ND from DigiKey(U.S.), where can I find those capacitors in Vancouver, BC, Canada?

Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
Try practicing soldering on piece of worthless, non-working, junk electronics.

Use a low wattage iron with a fine tip.

Paul

Thank, I will practice. S84 is so0o0o0o0o tiny. The back of the board is crowded.

Nov 21, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Call around to electronic parts suppy shops in Vancouver. In Austin, Texas virtually all of the electronic parts stores have gone out of business within the last ten years.

Digikey has a Canadian option: http://www.digikey.ca

Digikey has a "minimum order" or a small, additional fee is charged. No doubt Xin buys in quantity so avoids the charge.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back