Modifying Ibasso D1 as desktop preamp / headphone amp
Oct 29, 2012 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Lock

Head-Fier
Hi,
I have an Ibasso D1.  It has been my mainstay USB dac for some time and been using it as a pre-amp for my Alesis Monitors.  I have not come across another amp that sounds as clean and warm.

Unfortunately one of the channels has failed on the AUX analogue in.  I think it is the input connector rather than anything in the signal path.

My plan is to dismantle the D1, fabricate a new mini desktop case and make a few upgrades/additions Including:

>Change the Push button power to a flick switch (remove power on pop/click)

>Change the 3.5mm Input output for gold RCA terminals (this will hopefuly fix the lost right channel too)

>Add an input selector switch and wire this into the Analogue input circuit.

All of this is fairly rudimentary, however to be done properly I will need to desolder the existing terminals.  I have some wick, and am intermediate at soldering in general, but have little experience desoldering PCB. I want to be sure I do not damage any components.

I have considered a less elegant solution, of just leaving the terminals in place, and soldering hookup wire direct from the solder points on the underside of the board.

So.. My questions:

>Does anyone have or know of a circuit diagram for the Ibasso D1?

>Does anyone know the type of solder used on the board (leaded, lead free.. silver solder..)

>If I use lead free, and its leaded already on the PCB, could this cause issues?

>Is there any advice, general things to be careful of when trying to desolder?

>What is a good input selector pot.  I want to ensure there is no 'click' or 'pop' added in the signal path.  I also want to ensure I don't add any noise or distortion..

Lastly, if anyone knows of somewhere that can fabricate aluminium face and back plates to specification that would be great.

thanks a lot everyone.
Lock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back