Modifying a pair of Urbanears Plattans with better components?
Jul 6, 2011 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PanpandaChan

100+ Head-Fier
I really love how simple these headphones are. But like most mainstream "pretty" headphones, these probably sound like crap (just assuming, never read a review).

I was wondering.. How difficult would it be to just open it up and replace the drivers? I'd probably have to find some way to mount the new drivers (some basal wood and glue might do the trick? lmao)

I honestly have no experience in modifying headphones. I just had the idea yesterday when standing in the store, looking at these headphones.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 9
You are correct, they're not much in sound quality (They're very common here in sweden)
A tip if you like that very clean look (but also want durability and good sound) would be the Aiaiai TMA-1

Read up on them and check if you think their sound would appeal to you

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 9
Hahaha I like those just from the sound of the brand name XD
They definitely look nice, big price tag though, and wish they had different colors.

I'll read up on them.

EDIT: While I'm at it, are there any other headphones out there that are styled like this? Simplistic, colorful.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 9

Ah, yes. They're a bit more expensive, of course. But then, i don't know how cheap you'd get by with the modded Plattan. (And the quality wouldn't be the same, neither in acoustics or build, the plattan are more break n' buy than keepers.)

The TMA-1's aren't that expensive here in Sweden (or well.. if you compare to other swedish prices as we're just about crazy high on everything. And that after paying 30% of our salary in taxes.)
Quote:
Hahaha I like those just from the sound of the brand name XD
They definitely look nice, big price tag though, and wish they had different colors.

I'll read up on them.

EDIT: While I'm at it, are there any other headphones out there that are styled like this? Simplistic, colorful.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Haha true, I guess even if I bargain hunt, plattans + drivers would cost me ~$100.

Just sent an email to Urbanears asking if they sell parts, so I could buy just the housing.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 9
Probably, and you still wouldn't get much sound for the money. The physical quality of the plattan is also quite meh. 
You can get Aiaiai's for like 180 on the for sales forum. 

Aiaiai's are danish, so you'll still get that scandinavian greatness of design as we've now turned into. Instead of the once mighty vikings and the great military power we used to have. 

Now we design stuff and sell weapons. How jolly of us. But i like the swedish neutrality, where we can remain neutral even though we send jets to libya. 

Quote:
Haha true, I guess even if I bargain hunt, plattans + drivers would cost me ~$100.

Just sent an email to Urbanears asking if they sell parts, so I could buy just the housing.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 9
OP, I would suggest trying to wear them before you decide to invest in modifying them. My Coloud Colors (same basic design & same manufacturer as Urbanears) really aren't very comfortable for me past 1-2 hours.  

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Haha I see thats why youre selling yours eh?

And damn HK47, I hate you... As does my wallet...
I'm falling in love with these as I read more about them. Going through the 58page thread about the AIAIAIs now.

Theres one on sale here for 154 in NYC... crap, I wonder if the guy would let it go for 140 if i pick up in person x.x
But even then my wallet cant take the hit.

EDIT: Nevermind, not in NYC, in NY. Damn.

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 9
HK47 - Spreading the hate since 08
Now it's my turn to ruin others economy, at last

Quote:
Haha I see thats why youre selling yours eh?

And damn HK47, I hate you... As does my wallet...
I'm falling in love with these as I read more about them. Going through the 58page thread about the AIAIAIs now.

Theres one on sale here for 154 in NYC... crap, I wonder if the guy would let it go for 140 if i pick up in person x.x
But even then my wallet cant take the hit.

EDIT: Nevermind, not in NYC, in NY. Damn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back