Modified Stax SRM-007tII Amp
Jun 6, 2008 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

stax#1

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have modified my Stax SRM-007tII amp by replacing all the Vishay caps with Vcaps TFTF. I am still breaking in the caps and have experience a significant improvement with detail/midrange/bass. I also did some tube rolling, using the RCA clear tops for a good while before I got a hold of some NOS Sylvania Tubes. I have found the Sylvania had the same amount of detail as of the clear tops but gave it more body and stronger bass. I also replace the cheap fuse with a HiFi tunning fuse.

I would like to hear from those who have done any changes to their Stax amp such as tube rolling, upgrading caps, ect.. and what results you have experienced.

Regards

David

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 11
I've worked on quite a few Stax amps and rolled every different tube I could find with the Japanese tubes sounding best, especially the old Toshiba tubes Stax used in the 60's. I've left the caps well alone as the the Vishay units are very good for the price and the amps are too limited to be anything more then good. Upgrading the connectors and internal wiring is a good move though the newer amps makes this a lot harder to do properly.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by stax#1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can i find these old Toshiba tubes?

They are very rare these days and only show up in Japan from time to time and ebay once in a blue moon. The other Japanese tubes are also a very good match and some can be found on ebay.

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Thank you for the tube info, I just purchase four NOS 6FQ7 6CG7 MATSU****A on ebay. I am looking forward in trying out these tubes, in the mean time I am going monitor ebay/audiogon for some Toshiba NOS tubes. David

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 11
I just ordered the SRM 007t Two amp after hearing it at CamJam 2008. Can anyone tell me what their impressions of it are???
Scottsmrnyc

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 11
Hi David, I read an old post from you, in which you mentioned that you replaced the cheap fuse in your Stax 007 tII amplifier.
I had mine replaced by a heavier fuse by a local repairman when it blew up, but I prefer to replace it with a fuse of the original mA.
But I can't anything about the strength of the original fuses on the internet.
Do you remember which strength the original fuse has?

many thanks and best wishes, chris abelen the netherlands

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 11
Hi David, problem solved, I received this mail from Electromod.co.uk

[size=medium]Hi,[/size][size=medium][/size]
[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]It is a 6.3mm x 32mm slow blow or timed 800ma fuse[/size][size=medium][/size]
[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]Regards[/size][size=medium][/size]
[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]Mark[/size]

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #9 of 11
I've worked on quite a few Stax amps and rolled every different tube I could find with the Japanese tubes sounding best, especially the old Toshiba tubes Stax used in the 60's. I've left the caps well alone as the the Vishay units are very good for the price and the amps are too limited to be anything more then good. Upgrading the connectors and internal wiring is a good move though the newer amps makes this a lot harder to do properly.

Just bought myself the SRM-007tii - and to my horror i found WIMA MKP10 inside!
They are poor sounding - however the WIMA FKP1 is a much better choice. Does anybody know if 630V rating for the capacitor will do? 

Are there any other suggestions for great capacitors?

Next step will be to change the 6CG7 EH, any suggestions on this?

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 11
Hello,

I have modified my Stax SRM-007tII amp by replacing all the Vishay caps with Vcaps TFTF. I am still breaking in the caps and have experience a significant improvement with detail/midrange/bass. I also did some tube rolling, using the RCA clear tops for a good while before I got a hold of some NOS Sylvania Tubes. I have found the Sylvania had the same amount of detail as of the clear tops but gave it more body and stronger bass. I also replace the cheap fuse with a HiFi tunning fuse.

I would like to hear from those who have done any changes to their Stax amp such as tube rolling, upgrading caps, ect.. and what results you have experienced.

Regards

David

How was the overall impression? The Vcaps?

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 11
Hello,

Regards

David

David,

My SRM-007t has recently blown the fuse.  I removed it but could not clearly read the power ratings on the tube.  I have inserted a 1.5 Amp, 250 Volt Slow-Blow but am uncertain that this is correct.  Soon, I intend to replace it with a HiFi tuning fuse.  Could you advise me on the rating I should use.  Thank you.

Bill S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back