Modified Sennheiser CX300 - Y-style cable
May 23, 2007 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dfkt

Headphoneus Supremus
I really had it with the damn J-style cables of my CX300's... the kind of cable where the left one is longer than the right one, so you're supposed to wear it round your neck.

First, it's always tugging on the left ear more than on the right one - and I hate that imbalanced feeling. The left earplug is always bound to fall out cause all the strain is on it, and none on the right earplug. Second, this J-style cable prevents me to wear the cables up and around my ears, the way I like to wear my Ultimate Ears and V-Moda IEMs. Not only is it more secure and the cables are better hidden, but it also eliminates some of the cable-microphonics, of which the CX300 has plenty. Actually, the CX300 is one of the worst IEMs in that aspect, next to the Etymotics. It's much better now with the Y-style cable, with equal lengths for both earplugs.

So I cut the molded plastic cable divider in half with an Exacto Knife, slipped a piece of heat-shrink tube on the cable (the angled 3.5mm plug is flexible enough to get a 1cm diameter tube over it), twisted and knotted the longer right cable and secured it into place with the heat-shrink.

I left the remainder of the molded cable divider on the left cable, so I know which plug goes into which ear. Useful when putting the CX300 on in the dark... All in all, the cable's now only 15cm shorter than the ones on my V-Moda Vibes, so it's still quite pocketable and useful on-the-go.

It's not overly pretty, maybe I'll redo it with more consistent loops and knots, but it works well - and I'm wearing the cable under my shirt anyways.
smily_headphones1.gif

Voila, world's first Y-style cable CX300 (probably).

CX300Mod-P5231629.jpg

CX300Mod-P5231632.jpg

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 8
if you like moddin, u might also want to do the krkel mod (think thats wat its called) basically, you take the paper cover on op of the divers out, and put some foam from normal headphone covers. works brilliantly in my ex71, really helps. in total took about 1 min and the results are good.

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you like moddin, u might also want to do the krkel mod (think thats wat its called) basically, you take the paper cover on op of the divers out, and put some foam from normal headphone covers. works brilliantly in my ex71, really helps. in total took about 1 min and the results are good.

Tnx a lot man! I will try that.
cool.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Should've bought the Creative EP-630s. They're basically the same except they have the Y-cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back