modi help
Sep 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

alalouf

New Head-Fier
Hey lovvverss.

bought the modi schiit, and though it works, i'm pretty sure i'm not doing it right.

it's written all over this site that you need an amp in order to make it work, and that when it's plugged in, it disables the computers sound system, but i'm totally controlling the sound and boosting it from my computer, so my question is, from the minute i get it, what do i do?
just plug it in, let it install itself and then restart the computer, or do i have to play a little with the settings?

XOXO

using the 598 if it matters...

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

What are you plugging the HD598 into?

You have the Modi and..... what amplifier?

If you're plugging the HD598 into the computer and the Modi is attached, you're not using the Modi what so ever.

The Modi must output to an amplifier and your HD598 must be plugged into that amplifier.

This is your issue. Unless you just left out the bulk of information regarding this.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 7
  i mean, thanks

With any off-board DAC, you need to make sure that it's identified as the source in whatever media player you're using.  There's no guarantee that connecting it will mean that your PC takes it as the default.

Just an FYI, but foobar2000 is about as good as it gets - and it lets you specify the source separate from the OS in Windows.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 7
  Modi to computer via USB
Fiio E11 to Modi with cables
598 to the E11

So Computer (using USB) connected to Modi, Modi connected (RCA to 3.5mm) to Fiio E11, HD598 plugged into E11
When you plug a USB DAC (Modi) into a Win PC computer, usually the PC's audio is automatically routed to the USB device (Modi), and it is bypass the motherboard's on-board audio, so about the only PC audio feature left is the PC's volume control.
Usually best to max out PC's volume controls and use the Fiio E11's volume knob.
So maybe turn the Fiio off, before turning up volume on computer, then turn on E11 and slowly up the volume to whatever you like.
As you have bypassed the motherboard's on-board audio, chances are no Headphone Surround Sound, just stereo audio, which is just fine for music.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 7

With any off-board DAC, you need to make sure that it's identified as the source in whatever media player you're using.  There's no guarantee that connecting it will mean that your PC takes it as the default.

Just an FYI, but foobar2000 is about as good as it gets - and it lets you specify the source separate from the OS in Windows.

+1, Foobar2000 for music audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back