Modi 2 Uber DOA
Jan 21, 2016 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

12many

100+ Head-Fier
It either has 0% distortion or 100% distortion. : )   The amp powers up but not the dac.  No lights come on in the front for the selector switch and when I push the button nothing happens (no lights light up for each or any inputs). 

I am contacting Schitt but I wanted to check with you all to see if I am missing anything.  Tried the power switch on the back.  Plugged and unplugged several times.  Provided an optical input via working airport express.  Tested outlet for power. 

I think it may be the power supply wall wart - when I put a meter across the output (tried ac and dc mode) there is no voltage. I checked against other wall warts I have at my house all those all get the stated output voltage on the output using the same method. 

Any advice or things I am missing.  I will feel like a dunce if I am missing something on a device this simple but never hurts to ask. 

I should add that both products look well made and I am looking forward to trying out the Asgard 2.  Both were also well packaged in generic boxes (which is fine with me).  

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 4
As an update Schiit is sending out a replacement power supply (wall wart).  Hopefully that resolves the issue.  Their silver boxes may be made in the US but the power supply is "straight outta china".   Oh well.  Schitt happens.  They were prompt in their reply and sending out the new item, but it will probably not arrive until next week so my weekend listening sesh will have to occur sans the dac. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 4
I have the magni 2 uber/modi 2 uber. They have different sized wall warts. I've mistakenly switched them before for about 10 minutes. I've always been super careful to make sure that they go into the proper plugs since ..  but it didn't kill em when it happened. You didn't say what amp you have, but if you did have the Magni 2 U you could see ... but it would probably be best to be patient (easier said than done) 

EDIT : When you say " looking forward to trying out the Asgard 2" did you get that to? Cuz in that case nevermind...

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 4
As an update, Shiit send out a new wall wart power supply based on the symptoms we discussed.  The Modi still does not work with the new power supply.  No lights, no sound.  I am shipping the old unit back and am waiting for a new unit.  

I tried to upgrade to a non-b-stock unit and pay the extra money but apparently the 11th commandment is that once you buy a b-stock unit it can not be swapped out for a non b-stock, even of the same model.  That makes sense for working units but I was hoping to pay some extra $ to increase my chances of getting this resolved after the initial unit and first fix attempt have not worked.  No worries though, I can wait.  Schiit has been good to work with other than their product not working.  The b-stock unit I received was in perfect shape cosmetically and I really looked and looked for why it might be cosmetically b-stock on the outside of the unit.  I guess mine had micro flaws on the outside and more significant flaws on the inside.  :  ) I will provide an update when the replacement arrives.   

I have been listening to the Asgard through HE-400i HPS, from an Airport Express that I linked together with airplay to stream from an iphone using the AE internal DAC to provide an analog signal to the Asgard.  Sounds good but not sure how much of quality, if any, I am losing from the airport express dac or if it is coloring the sound.  To me, the Asgard is warmer than my iphone and TEAC.  The bass is better and the highs more pleasant, both of which are to be expected and are appreciated.    So far I am pleased with the Asgard amp but whether it is good for you I think would depend on your HPs, cash flow, and preferences.  I am using the AE still also so I don't want to form any final conclusions. 

Does anyone have an opinion regarding sound quality between the AE DAC and the Modi DAC?   I will be interested to see if I can tell a difference when my next Modi arrives.  If I can't tell a difference the Modi will be an unnecessary item in the middle at least for me with my HP and ears.  Time will tell. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back