ModHouse Argon vs Fostex TH-X00 PH
May 1, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #16 of 23
I got to compare the Argon with the Cowhide. It increased bass somewhat, but I did not notice any different in soundstage. Also, comfort was better with the Lambskins, so I would stick with them.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #17 of 23
I disagree wholeheartedly. Have had the Argon for a good while now, and although I really enjoy it for its qualities and will definitely keep it, the TH-X00 is a superior headphone for music, with much better resolution. The X00 is probably my favorite headphone ever, because of how goddamn enjoyable it is.

They are both "bass head" headphones in the audophile spectrum, but The Argon is quite a bit bassier than the X00, and also has fantastic soundstage and imaging (on par with the ZMF Ori, another T50RP mod), for a closed back. It's therefore ideal for watching movies or playing video games, making it a more versatile option. The comfort is also quite a bit better.

The Biodyna bass of the TH-X00 is tighter and more detailed than that of the Argon, though (I will most likely never hear a headphone that can match the X00 in this area). The X00's bass remains well controlled and nimble despite the powerful boost, even with faster and more demanding recordings. This control and detail is interestingly true when comparing all aspects of sound for both headphones. It's especially noticable in midrange, where the X00 has an overall pretty correct timbre with voices appearing overall more in the background in the mix, but more forward than the Argon. The midrange on the Argon feels a bit recessed in comparison, lacking the same amount of detail and resolve. The same is true about channel imbalance and distortion, where the Argon can't completely hide the very hearable imperfections of the T50RP driver.

I still think the Argon is pretty good for music listening, but the X00 is just so much better in general. The X00 easily wins in categories like EDM, Soul and R&B, Rock, etc. Overall, both are fantastic headphones for their price. $450 might seem too much for the X00, but I think Fostex does justice to the price in terms of resolution of the headphone and delivers the performance that one would expect to find for the price. The same is true for its build quality and looks, which is top notch. It's also incredibly easy to drive, and does exceptionally well even out of a smartphone. The Argon (T50RP), on the other hand, needs unreasonable amounts of power.

Your point about the cables is a good one. Which is why I have put my X00 up for sale and ordered a used EMU Teak (a more refined X00) with detachable cables for the same price.

EDIT: I would not recommend Lawton mod, as I believe it screws up the sound. Stick with it as is, out of the box. Adding new pads, or doing mods like Lawton, makes it inferior imo. The TH-X00 wasn't created to be tinkered with, like the T50RP.

Ya know I had the D2K when i was pretty fresh to the scene and I know the TH-X00 would be more refined. I would love to try a TH-X00 so I can properly remark on it if I am honest and since I put the Argon on the xDuoo TA-01 with a gold lion tube it has become much better to my ears even compared to what should be a better solid state DAC.

May 3, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #18 of 23
Funny I replied to this thread because Zeos rave up the Argon so much that I wanted to see if it's worth it to try it out. I currently own the T50RP MK3, Denon AH-D2000, Fostex TH-X00, and E-Mu Teak. I basically own everything else except the Argon lol, but based on the response I might pass on the Argon then.

But I'll fill you guys in on the Fostex side of things. So D2000 while is really good for the price, is more V shaped and has a somewhat bloated bass and slightly sharp treble. The mid is recessed and for me I use vocal volume to adjust overall volume so this really bugs me, which prompted me to buy E-Mu Teak based on the amazing review. However while E-Mu Teak has much forward vocal compare to D2000, but the female vocal is still a tiny bit recessed for my taste (most people might find it fine). The other frequencies are also very linear so you hear a bit more of everything. Which you'd assume is a good thing but I find it's a bit information overload. I would describe E-Mu Teak as M shaped sound, the sub bass didn't reach as deep as I hoped for, also I'm used to a little bit more treble, also was hoping vocal a bit more forward). Not saying it's bad, but at this point I'm comparing D2000 and TH-X00 (heard it from my friend first) so the bar is really high. And eventually prompt me to buy my own pair of TH-X00, which in my opinion has good sub bass, energetic treble, and very forward vocal, so I'd describe this as W shaped sound. To me TH-X00 sounds cleaner and punchier than the E-Mu Teak. Though Teak might have more overall detail, TH-X00 just contrast the emphasized detail and the quieter details better.

Granted preference plays an important role which might explain why basically everyone else prefer Teak over TH-X00 except me. However I think if I get to start over I'd probably just buy the TH-X00 Ebony. From what I gather the Ebony is just a smoother, less sharp treble and more sub bass compare to Mahogany (default TH-X00). But otherwise all the newer Fostex variants are all really good headphones.

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 23
My impression is the Argon Mk3 with ZMF Lambskin pads is undoubtably better overall than a custom modded TH-X00 Purpleheart (which is noticeably better than a stock Purpleheart).

Argon Mk3 is noticeably better in most ways than the TH-X00, other than the ability to give that massive subbass low end presence the Purplehearts can do. The Argons have much better extension, clarity, speed, punch, and detail over a modded TH-X00 while being about equal in imaging but having that unique 'soundstage' that is reminiscent of a STAX L300 Limited/L700 and gives a great feel to the sense of space the sound/music is taking place in. It also has a warmth and fullness to the sound that is very similar to a TH-X00. A modded TH-X00PH is simply boomy and conjested sounding in comparison.

And though much more of a true closed back over the semi-closed TH-X00, it has a much cleaner and unbelieveably more open sound which comes across more open than many openbacks, like the Sennheiser HD58X for example. Its openess is basically somewhere between the HD58X and a STAX Lambda. The Argon Mk3 is a very weird planar (in the absolute best way) and I prefer it over any other planar I've heard and most any other headphone I've ever heard, including the TH-X00 and Denon AH-D series, any dynamic Sennheiser and Focal Clear. You just really need to have a rig setup that will drive it properly to get the full sound out of it. I'd much rather listen to the Argon Mk3 on my Gustard rig over the Purplehearts...

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #22 of 23
Thanks for the detailed impression. Now the only thing stopping me from getting one is having to wait ten weeks and apparently you can only properly drive them with a huge speaker amp.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #23 of 23
Thanks for the detailed impression. Now the only thing stopping me from getting one is having to wait ten weeks and apparently you can only properly drive them with a huge speaker amp.

The necessity of driving them with a speaker amp is frequently overstated. (In fairness, I have not tried running mine with a speaker amp, as I haven't felt the need.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back