modest set of cans for me?
Jul 2, 2009 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nhancakes

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to music pretty much only from my marantz2230 and infinity ss2002 bookshelves, but i'm looking to try out some cans. It'll save me some trouble of transporting speakers and stands down to my place at college too.

Would prefer to use my Marantz 2230's headphone out. I tend to like the Grado sound since I tried out the sr-60s last year. i enjoyed them for a while, but eventually returned them (thank you headroom) because they got fatiguing to listen to with it's straight forward presentation, and I tend to listen to music for hours and hours at a time. So I'm looking for something that's rockin similar to grado, not as fatiguing and some good soundstaging (sound leaking not an issue).

I would like for it to go well with my Marantz(that or unamped). I'm not trying to build the be all end all music system here (i'm only 20). I'd rather be spending more on records than equipment. 300 is the max im willing to spend.

I listen to a lot of vinyls and a wide range of music: bebop/hardbop, metal, rock, indie and acoustic, hip hop. Some Taylor Swift too for good measure.

Sources: Pioneer PL518 w/ Grado Black
Laptop w/ FLAC using just a mini to RCA into the Marantz (sounds good enough for me to avoid buying a DAC). Will mostly use the vinyl set up though.

Any suggestions?

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 10
yeah, i'll be having my own room.
biggrin.gif
And i'll only be listening from the comfort of my own room anyway. I dont listen to music out on the go.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 10
How about ATH-AD700 or AD900, I have read they are somewhat Grado-ish but are not as fatiguing and good for more general use. I am using AD700 now and personally do not find them fatiguing at all.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 10
ill look those up. Looks to be at a pretty good price.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 10
yeah, i've been clicking through the appreciation thread for them here. maybe spending too much time in that thread.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 10
hm how would a pair of dt880 fair coming from the headphone out of my marantz 2230. would that be a good enough amp for it for now or do would it be begging for something better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back