Modest proposal for Audeze LCD3 comfort.
Mar 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rgs9200m

Headphoneus Supremus
I love the sound of my LCD3s more than anything and they are now my main go-to phone over TH900s, 009s, HD800s, and more,
but I really wish Audeze would offer alternative pads that would not be so extremely lopsided from back to front.

The pads are much much thicker in the back so that the cups are angled far forward and therefore put pressure on my temples.
If I just manually push the back of the cups inward (and hold them in this position), then they fit perfect and sound perfect too, 
but as soon as I let go, they revert to their regular orientation.

I would pay Audeze to change the pads, so they could even make money on this offering, so it would be a win-win.
Again, to my ears, the sound is just as good with a lesser angle, so I don't see a downside.

They would not need to be completely even, just maybe half of the current thickness difference.
I don't know of any other phones that have such  uneven pads. 
(Sony R10s had this to some degree, but far less than Audezes.)

Thanks to Audeze for, IMHO, creating the best sounding headphone ever.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 13
Have you tried the vegan pads? Maybe they would sit a little better.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 13
how long have you had them? i had the exact same experience as you with the fit at first. Its been almost two weeks now and the pressure by my temples is virtually gone. I think not only do the phones need burn-in, those nice fluffy pillows do too. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 13
how long have you had them? i had the exact same experience as you with the fit at first. Its been almost two weeks now and the pressure by my temples is virtually gone. I think not only do the phones need burn-in, those nice fluffy pillows do too. 

This was true for me, too. Kind of uncomfortable for the first 2-3 weeks depending on how much use you give them. After that the pads break in and they fit like a glove.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 13
My LCD-2s were horrible the first 30 days. Very painful. After a month of wear, they really fit on my head well and are almost comfy. Many people have reported this.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Thanks everyone. I have owned them since they were first out (Nov. 2011). I am fiddling with stretching the headband a little and that seems to help.
I thought about the Vegan pads, but someone told me they didn't really change the pressure distribution pattern much.

I have not heard of the Mad Dog or other non-Audeze pads for them, and I'm really reluctant to do a mod of phones like these, but
you never know.

I'm not sure if the leather pads change their feel over time or not; it's hard to tell.

But boy, do they sound nice. I think the sound has broken in somehow so they are spectacular: balanced, palpable, even nicely airy and spacious,
and just plain musical, where the music just seems to fall out of them completely unforced and natural, not overhyped and not cloaked either.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 13
Everybody comments about the immense clamp and pressure on their temples with the Audeze cans.  I've never experienced such thing.  If anything, I experienced pressure point on the top of my head.  I think the even distribution of the pads has more to do with how I position the headband of my head though.  The headband of all the headphones I wear is near the back of my head, very angled.  I tried to wear the LCD2 with the headband very forward, and it did indeed put some more pressure on my temples.  Hope this helps.

Btw I think the angled pads are a godsend, almost every headphone should have them-- way more ergonomic. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
The pads are much much thicker in the back so that the cups are angled far forward and therefore put pressure on my temples.
If I just manually push the back of the cups inward (and hold them in this position), then they fit perfect and sound perfect too, 
but as soon as I let go, they revert to their regular orientation.

The very exact problem I had with LCD-2.2, only it's even worse due to stiffer than LCD-3 pads.
As much as I've enjoyed the sound but they had to go, hope Audeze address that in the next version.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Everybody comments about the immense clamp and pressure on their temples with the Audeze cans.  I've never experienced such thing.  If anything, I experienced pressure point on the top of my head.

I had exactly the same experience at first. I ended up bending the headband into submission to conform to my head (and distributing the weight evenly across the top). This made all the difference, and now I can wear it for hours with zero discomfort (except for the heat I guess, but that can't be helped
smile.gif
). I've tried the repositioning thing with limited success. I recommend you manhandle it a bit; the headband is actually quite malleable.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Everybody comments about the immense clamp and pressure on their temples with the Audeze cans.  I've never experienced such thing.  If anything, I experienced pressure point on the top of my head.  I think the even distribution of the pads has more to do with how I position the headband of my head though.  The headband of all the headphones I wear is near the back of my head, very angled.  I tried to wear the LCD2 with the headband very forward, and it did indeed put some more pressure on my temples.  Hope this helps.

Btw I think the angled pads are a godsend, almost every headphone should have them-- way more ergonomic. 

What makes you say that?

IMO to achieve earpad comfort, you'd just want an even pressure distribution all around the ear, doesn't matter if the earpads are angled or flat, as long as the contact interface between the earpads and the surfaces around the ears are even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back