Modest Mouse!
Jul 30, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
Anyway, forgot to mention before, I have both the old and remastered 'Moon & Antarctica'. Brock said publicly and often that he wasn't at all happy with the original sound, inferring that it was b/c he was rushed by the label. So when the opportunity came, he remastered it only three years later. It actually came out just before or after the new album, so it wasn't to capitalize on a hit or anything.

Well, you may be right and I'm sure Brock's intentions were sincere, but do you really think Sony would have paid for it and released it less than 4 years later if Gravity hadn't gotten so much play in the Nissan commercial, along with the new Float On single on the radio and MTV looking like a hit, and then the new album coming out about the same time as the remaster? They seemed to push the release date back until "Float On" was starting to get a lot of play.

But thanks for the info. I hadn't heard before that he was so disappointed in the original mix. But it is good to know that they didn't just punch it up to make it more like one of their normal rock releases. Are you saying that Brock actually went back and remixed it, and not just remastered it? What about it sounds so much better? It is really surprising that they let him redo it. You don't hear that happen much. Now I'm gonna have to check around and see if anyone I know has a copy of the new version since I figured it was just a normal "add compression and EQ" type of remaster. Still hard to believe that many fans would buy it twice just for a possibility of slightly improved sound since most seem to have thought it sounded very good to begin with (with the exception of you and Brock, of course
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I still think Brian Deck is a great producer, even if it didn't turn out quite as good as they would have liked it to.

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #17 of 30
Ha! Saw them last month live!
biggrin.gif

I don't know, to me the SQ of their album was nothing to rave about..

I'd have to listen to each particular album, but I think most of them sounded rather compressed... Not sounding horrible, but not very good either... I guess decent at best..
frown.gif

[edit] as for their latest album, I didn't like it too much at first, but after a while it really grows on you. There's a lot of terrific songs, overall, its really not a bad album, actually pretty good IMHO. Some of the songs I wasn't crazy about were turned out really awesome live.
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #18 of 30
Modest Mouse is great. I also am a big fan of Lonesome Crowded West. You should also check out Ugly Cassanova if you havent already.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #19 of 30
What songs did MM 'sell'? I know Gravity Rides Everything played for a Nissan commercial, what else? Cowboy Dan? (Why would Cowboy Dan invalidate the band?!) I just loved that track to death! Doing the cockroach is also amazing, hehe

Anyhow, great band!

Jul 31, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 30
What is the name of the song that starts off:

"Have I told ya, Have I told ya, Have I told ya, Have I told ya, You can really get it on, You can really get it on"

"I was at an all night diner, the size of ??????, looking around the room, breathing up the oxygen"

"A guy comes up looking pretty appauled staring two smiles sits down at my table puts his arm around me says he's scared of information"

"He said, he said, he said, he said"

and then proceeds to feed back in to the "Have I told ya, you can really get it on"

I'm not positive of all those lyrics except for the "have i told you, you can really get it on" part but I have this song on a live cd a buddy of mine left at my house about four years ago and I really like it. They go off for about ten minutes. The cd says "Live at UP! Party 12-22-99".

Jul 31, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
What is the name of the song that starts off:

"Have I told ya, Have I told ya, Have I told ya, Have I told ya, You can really get it on, You can really get it on"

"I was at an all night diner, the size of ??????, looking around the room, breathing up the oxygen"

"A guy comes up looking pretty appauled staring two smiles sits down at my table puts his arm around me says he's scared of information"

"He said, he said, he said, he said"

and then proceeds to feed back in to the "Have I told ya, you can really get it on"

I'm not positive of all those lyrics except for the "have i told you, you can really get it on" part but I have this song on a live cd a buddy of mine left at my house about four years ago and I really like it. They go off for about ten minutes. The cd says "Live at UP! Party 12-22-99".

All Night Dinner from building something out of nothing

i like everything except sad sappy sucker and good news... sad sappy sucker is excusable because it wasnt meant to be/isnt a real album.. but good news really make me gouge my ears out

Jul 31, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
sincere, but do you really think Sony would have paid for it and released it less than 4 years later if Gravity hadn't gotten so much play in the Nissan commercial, along with the new Float On single on the radio and .....Are you saying that Brock actually went back and remixed it, and not just remastered it? What about it sounds so much better?

I really can't guess why Sony paid for it. As far as I know, remastering and rereleasing anything that quickly is totally unprecedented as far as I know, so it's hard for me to say. But the product would have been there to sell regardless, whether it was a new edition or the old. I actually had trouble finding the remaster right when it was released.... I wish I could remember more of an interview I saw in Filter a couple years ago about it... it explained it better.

I've heard people say that it's actually remixed as well as being remastered, and it kind of sounds like it. But I just read the credits and it only mentions a remastering. What sounds better is that there's more detail and depth, which to me is more fitting considering that they used a lot of overdubs and stuff that time. Everything is just generally crisper to my ears, and there's stuff that I noticed on there that I hadn't before with the original one. Can't compare it now, though, I gave the other one to my sister. As always, YMMV.

Girglemirt: Those people (not me) were saying that just the fact that they allowed their songs to be used to sell material goods invalidated their other songs that lament things like 'losing all touch, building a desert' and stuff. The only song that's been used in commercials (at least two different ones) is 'Gravity Rides Everything', to my knowledge. That would be interesting to see 'Cowboy Dan' in a commercial, though!

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #23 of 30
i think they are pretty good. nice relaxing music. but i only have Good News Album

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #25 of 30
I'm not too sure why people care that MM had a song that got some airplay. It happens to a lot of "indie" bands. Anyone remember that Dinosaur Jr. had the same thing happen in the early 90's. Same thing is happening right now with the Arcade Fire. Are people more concerned about the image of the band then the actual music? Or even worse, their own image in relation to the band?

I'd say the change in sound for Good News For People Who Love Bad News probably has more to do with Isaac hanging around with the Flaming Lips front man then selling out. If you had to pick a place where they "sold out" it’s when they left Up Records and signed with Sony for The Moon And Antarctica. They weren’t really "indie" after that.

I really like all their songs, but if I had to pick a top 3 it would be...

"Hear Cooked Brains" off The Lonesome Crowded West
"Never Ending Math Equation" off Building Nothing Out Of Something
"Bukowski" off Good News For People Who Love Bad News

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #26 of 30
BTW, I’m not trying to attack anyone here. I just don't like the holier then though indie rock thing. Or as DanG put it "snobbery." I read enough of that crap over at Pitchfork
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #28 of 30
because it's cool?
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
All Night Dinner from building something out of nothing

i like everything except sad sappy sucker and good news... sad sappy sucker is excusable because it wasnt meant to be/isnt a real album.. but good news really make me gouge my ears out

Thank you fellow Texan!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #30 of 30
Just wondering, there is a lot of talk about interstate 8, but I can't find it anywhere. Not even Ebay.
Is there anywhere to get it, or is it just a collectors item or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back