Modest Mouse - Moon & Antarctica Reissue
Mar 30, 2004 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GuineaMcPig

100+ Head-Fier
I just read Pitchfork's review of this reissue, and while they knock it for not adding enough to the original, they indicate that the mix has been changed to make it more of a "headphone" album. I was wondering: does anyone here have both versions and could comment on the differences between the two?

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 11
i own both. i haven't done any specific a/bing of the two versions yet, but i will say that the sound quality on the new one is impressive. the weird thing is i don't really recall having problems with the sound quality on the original pressing.

the guy who wrote that pitchfork article is a bit of an idiot, or just isn't very well informed. however, so far, i do agree that the album isn't a must for people that already own it. i think it's just sony trying to get some more money out of people and attempt to push modest mouse further into the mainstream. it bugs me that i supported this move, but at the same time the need for better quality is impossible to let go of as an "audiophile."
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 11
CAN'T...WAIT...NEW...ALBUM...ONE...WEEK...*dies*.

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 11
You guys got my curiosity up. I finally went to the Modest Mouse website and listend to the song Float On.
I liked it.
So, if I was going to pick up an album by this group, which would you recommend to start with? My local store has a couple in stock, but I cannot recall which ones they were.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 11
Lonesome crowded west, and the moon and antartica are consitered modest mouse's two best albums

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 11
The Moon and Antarctica is a bit more accessible and melodic than A Lonesome Crowded West. You may want to start there.

Apr 1, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 11
it seems to me (after listening to samples of each version of the album on my SR60s) that the reissue has a softer, more intricate feel, which when you think "modest mouse" as a band, makes sense. you sorta hear a more detailed version i guess... although it's hard to explain. Personally I love This is a Long Drive... the best, but thats completely unrelated i guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back