Modest Mouse anyone?
Jan 20, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIf you have not heard "Sharpen Your Teeth" by Ugly Casanova, which I refer to above, you should definitely check it out. It is an Issac Brock side project (including Brian Deck (Black Heart Procession) and Tim Rutili (Califone, Red Red Meat) of a few years ago. It's a really good album...very Modest Mouse like...

Agreed, Sharpen Your Teeth is better than the last two Modest Mouse records (although DLee didn't actually say that, but I do, even though I shouldn't be trusted since I haven't even heard all of the last one
smily_headphones1.gif
). My favorite these days is The Lonesome Crowded West, but could also be The Moon and Antarctica at other times. Or that one they did way back at the end of the 70s, Fear of Music. Or that great one they did in the late 80s, Doolittle. Man, they've been around forever
wink.gif

Hey DLeeWebb, speaking of Brian Deck (although I don't think he's anything to do with BHP, mostly Red Red Meat/Califone), have you heard the latest from Iron & Wine "The Shepherd's Dog"? Really has become almost like a Sam Beam and Brian Deck project since Deck is so much a part of defining the studio sound. Gets more adventurous with each new record, sounding kind of like Califone at this latest stage, although Beam's vocals are even more breathy than Tim Rutili.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, Sharpen Your Teeth is better than the last two Modest Mouse records (although DLee didn't actually say that, but I do, even though I shouldn't be trusted since I haven't even heard all of the last one
smily_headphones1.gif
). My favorite these days is The Lonesome Crowded West, but could also be The Moon and Antarctica at other times. Or that one they did way back at the end of the 70s, Fear of Music. Or that great one they did in the late 80s, Doolittle. Man, they've been around forever
wink.gif

Hey DLeeWebb, speaking of Brian Deck (although I don't think he's anything to do with BHP, mostly Red Red Meat/Califone), have you heard the latest from Iron & Wine "The Shepherd's Dog"? Really has become almost like a Sam Beam and Brian Deck project since Deck is so much a part of defining the studio sound. Gets more adventurous with each new record, sounding kind of like Califone at this latest stage, although Beam's vocals are even more breathy than Tim Rutili.

Whoops! Sorry, I meant Iron & Wine. I'll have to correct that. I have had "The Shepard's Dog" since it came out. It has been in heavy rotation around here since it came out. I especially like the songs "Wolves (Song Of The Shepard's Dog)" and "Boy With A Coin." Great album...

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #33 of 52
I can vouch for Sharpen you teeth! Great album for any Mouse fan with an open mind. I'd have to call it Indie-Rock, Psychedelic-Country fusion...
I love the production on it too, great effects and so many trippy-layers to get lost in.
Sometimes I cant get over how much quality & variety that Issac Brock has to offer...

About that new Iron & wine album, for some reason the exaggerated breathy sound was just too much for me on that album, I couldn't listen to the music because the sound was just rubbing me the wrong way... maybe it just wasn't working with my sr60s, I dont know...

Jan 20, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by freid77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About that new Iron & wine album, for some reason the exaggerated breathy sound was just too much for me on that album, I couldn't listen to the music because the sound was just rubbing me the wrong way... maybe it just wasn't working with my sr60s, I dont know...

His voice doesn't sound exaggerated to me, but I probably haven't listened with my phones yet. Sounds pretty nice on a good speaker setup though, as do most Brian Deck recordings. Good soundstage, with Sam's voice nestled back a little ways in the mix most of the time, not way up front like so many recordings nowadays. Some nice sounding bass too. Not quite the dynamics of an older recording, nothing is these days, but very good sound for a new CD. His vocals will always be somewhat of an acquired taste, but same with Brock, not to imply that there is any similarities in the voice or music, just that Brian Deck has been involved in a lot of my favorite music, from way back in the Red Red Meat experimental days of "Bunny Gets Paid" and "There's A Star Above the Manger Tonight", through to some of those great Califone records like "Roomsound" and "Roots & Crowns", and Josh Ritter's wonderful "The Animal Years", the Holopaw and Fruit Bats records, Brock's "The Moon and Antarctica" and collaboration on "Sharpen Your Teeth", Iron & Wine, etc. Nice little interview in Harp a couple years ago ... HARP Magazine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and Josh Ritter's wonderful "The Animal Years", the Holopaw...Nice little interview in Harp a couple years ago ... HARP Magazine
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Davey,
Interesting article, I'm wondering about this Josh Ritter album "Animal Years," as well as, "Holopaw." You know, anything Brian Deck is involved with is worth a look and a listen. Additionally, is there anything recent out there with that junkyard jangle percussion, slide guitar sound? (kind of like a Califone, or Ugly Casanova) I love that sound and I would like something new in that area...

-Sorry, I have no intention of hijacking this thread. Just a temporary diversion...

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Hey Davey,
Interesting article, I'm wondering about this Josh Ritter album "Animal Years," as well as, "Holopaw." You know, anything Brian Deck is involved with is worth a look and a listen. Additionally, is there anything recent out there with that junkyard jangle percussion, slide guitar sound? (kind of like a Califone, or Ugly Casanova) I love that sound and I would like something new in that area...

-Sorry, I have no intention of hijacking this thread. Just a temporary diversion...

Surprised you haven't heard Holopaw yet, since a couple of the best songs on the Ugly Casanova record were written and sung by John Orth. But yea, I do love that debut by Holopaw. Always reminds me of those midwest nights when I was a kid, fireflies and stars lighting the sky, while crickets and frogs sang their mating songs. Fun stuff. Haven't picked up the followup yet, though.

That last Mark Lanegan "Bubblegum" record has some of that Tom Waits bone shaking percussion, but none of the country slide. Great record though, especially the songs with PJ Harvey. Have you heard the Court & Spark? Their last couple have moved into the more lush country territory of bands like Blue Rodeo, but the earlier "Bless You" had some of that junkyard percussion and slide. Very nice record.

Can't think of much else. I'd love to hear some other suggestions myself. But yes, you should hear "Animal Years", at least some samples. Another very nice record out of Deck's studio. Mostly acoustic, unlike his latest.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Moon & Antarctica is one of the top 10 albums of this decade.

yep, but it all went downhill from there.
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #39 of 52
modest mouse. progressively worse with each succeeding album, kind of broke my heart. I tried hard, and as much as it hurts... you know i am right
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanalei mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
modest mouse. progressively worse with each succeeding album, kind of broke my heart. I tried hard, and as much as it hurts... you know i am right
frown.gif

I completely disagree. I am used to hearing similar arguments with Radiohead. The sound of the best, most prolific artists morphs, evolves, and changes. I guess it really depends at which point you learn to appreciate the artist's work. I love Modest Mouse's entire discography. Their earliest albums were the seminal creation of an awesome band. However, the last three albums are masterful. They are part of an evolution of the Mouses' vision of their art. I go back to their early work frequently. For me there is no reason to compare thier early work with their later work; I like it all and shuffle it at will. "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank" is a masterpiece IMHO.
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanalei mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

I completely disagree. I am used to hearing similar arguments with Radiohead. The sound of the best, most prolific artists morphs, evolves, and changes. I guess it really depends at which point you learn to appreciate the artist's work. I own and love nearly all of Modest Mouse's entire discography. Their earliest albums were the seminal creation of an awesome band. However, the last three albums are masterful. They are part of an evolution of the Mouses' vision of their art. I go back to their early work frequently. For me there is no reason to compare their early work with their later work; I like it all and shuffle it at will. "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank" is a masterpiece IMHO.
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

I completely disagree. I am used to hearing similar arguments with Radiohead. The sound of the best, most prolific artists morphs, evolves, and changes. I guess it really depends at which point you learn to appreciate the artist's work. I own and love nearly all of Modest Mouse's entire discography. Their earliest albums were the seminal creation of an awesome band. However, the last three albums are masterful. They are part of an evolution of the Mouses' vision of their art. I go back to their early work frequently. For me there is no reason to compare their early work with their later work; I like it all and shuffle it at will. "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank" is a masterpiece IMHO.
biggrin.gif

I'm completely with you one this, I was introduced to modest mouse right about when bad news came out. But instead of just making me a float-on fanboy, my cousin did me the justice of introducing me to the "classics" like Dukes up. He also told me that he bought an original Interstate 8 EP for like $70! Today I love all modest mouse has put out, the older "emo" stuff is probably my favorite (it doesnt get much more raw than Edit the sad parts) but the new, more artsy stuff is just as inspiring, not to mention the transition album Moon&Ant which is just mind blowing. I don't think it's worth comparing the different mini-genres of modest mouse. Instead I just enjoy each for the unique things they offer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #43 of 52
well of course SOMEONE is going to like the newer albums, they did sell a ton of them. Music is more subjective then headphones, but as someone who remembers listening to their first albums on the radio while in college, when they were first released, I find the last few to be formulated, lacking in depth,and unlistenable, especially "we were dead before the ship even sank". Seriously, it was hard to accept, and it has nothing to do with commercial success or "selling out", I only listen to the music, and I can't decide what i like and what i don't. i either like it, or i don't.
And while I have never considered myself a radiohead fan, I do like ok computer the best.

float on!
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #44 of 52
I went to the same high school as those guys, I was one year late though
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #45 of 52
The older music has such style and emotion- like Isaac (the whole band actually be he obviously writes the songs) translated pure energy and emotion into each song. I had chills when I heard Teeth Like Gods Shoeshine and Cowboy Dan- all of their earlier stuff stuck with me for over 5 years.

Now the music just seems so sterile and contrived. I actually thought they started to go down hill with the luster they added to Moon, but I grew to love the nuances of that album. I cannot get into the 2 latest albums, no matter how hard I try, but they are definitely a band that has earned their success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back