Modest Mouse anyone?
Oct 1, 2007 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

freid77

New Head-Fier
Modest mouse is runaway my favorite band,
and for me, good sound is my Grados putting me on a new level - chillin with Isaac and the boys.

Any other Modest worshipers out there?

Favorite CDs? Songs? what about other bands that are almost as good?
tongue.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Moon & Antarctica is one of the top 10 albums of this decade.

Seconded. It absolutely blows me away... when I first heard it, I nearly passed out...

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 52
They were my favorite band for a very long time (1997-2004)- fan since Lonesome Crowded West, which is my fav MM album. Really love the older stuff and Moon. I didn't get into the last album, however, and the latest one, while better, is still not really my cup of tea either. I really loved all the changes that used to be a staple of their music, now they seem a little too linear for me.

I saw them in 1998 (?) with about 100 others at The Whole at the U of M. Pretty cool to see your favorite band in an intimate environment like that. We talked to the bassist and drummer for a few minutes afterwards. 6 seconds after the show was over, Isaac started taking the equipment down- he didn't look like he wanted to talk
biggrin.gif

Favorite Songs:

Buttons Pushing the Buttons
Beach Side Property and the one after it
Ohio
Talking Sht About a Pretty Sunset
Teeth Like God's Shoeshine
Cowboy Dan
Truckers Atlas
The Cold Part
Life Like Weeds

From the new album
Spitting Venom and People as Places are very good.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 52
I absolutely love The Moon and Antarctica, so that has to get my vote, with Good News... coming in a close second. Their earlier albums are great as well, but for my money those are my top two. I think their last album is pretty underrated actually, maybe in a few years people will appreciate it more.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 52
Moon and Antarctica, and second place isn't even close.

Life like Weeds is my standout, but it's difficult to ever just listen to one track of that record.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #11 of 52
I discovered them with Good News... so it holds top spot in my heart. There are tracks on the new album and Moon I like better than some of the other tracks on Good News, but nothing beats out the memories of living in Japan listening to it brings back (Alternated it every other 1 hr train ride morning commute).

I know a lot of hardcore fans dislike Good News and some are die hards of the older material, but I just can't get into that stuff as much since it's not where I started my fandom. I kind of like the bigger budget production anyways, not that I can't appreciate raw in music. I should really just grab all the albums and do a marathon sometime.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 52
The Moon and Antarctica is a brilliant album and I'm disappointed they didn't expand upon it in their later releases. It had such a unique sound throughout, something completely unique that I've yet to hear another album of theirs (or anyone else's) rival.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 52
i wish i could pick more than one. but yes i like the Ship most (Marr fan, so shoot me) but for the MM sound you have to go with Moon.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 52
MM has some hands-down awesome songs.. "Never Ending Math Equation" - "Paper Thin Walls" are a couple of my favorites.. but sometimes I hear them and I'm like... what the f... ?

confused.gif

-jar

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 52
Edit The Sad Parts > *

My favorite album of theirs for many years has been The Lonesome Crowded West.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back