Modest Mouse anyone? What's your favourite album?
Jun 15, 2008 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

renugaid

100+ Head-Fier
As the thread title reads, out of all their albums and EPs and other releases, which is your favourite? Also which songs etc do you like the most?

My favorite album is Good News for People Who Love Bad News. The album makes great use of soundstage and separation and the track that blew my senses away was Bukowski. At one point it even had me turn around as I had thought someone was yelling out to me from behind.

Not too fond of their most recent release. They've kind of changed their style to suit the masses now that theyve become more mainstream. But thats just my take on it ^^'

So to the Modest Mouse fans out there, I'd love to hear what you think too!

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 29
I would say "Building Something Out Of Nothing" just takes the top spot for me even though i can appreciate and thoroughly enjoy all their albums. Their last album didn't quite hit the high's of their previous efforts- but anything with Johhny Marr in will always get my vote ( possibly my favourite guitar player ).

Best songs- "Never Ending Math Equation" and " Workin' On Leavin' The Livin"'

Ps. if you like modest mouse- check out Iron Horse's tribute albums, especially "Pickin' On Modest Mouse" It's so so good, i have probably played it more than the Modest mouse albums themselves.

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say "Building Something Out Of Nothing" just takes the top spot for me even though i can appreciate and thoroughly enjoy all their albums. Their last album didn't quite hit the high's of their previous efforts- but anything with Johhny Marr in will always get my vote ( possibly my favourite guitar player ).

Best songs- "Never Ending Math Equation" and " Workin' On Leavin' The Livin"'

Ps. if you like modest mouse- check out Iron Horse's tribute albums, especially "Pickin' On Modest Mouse" It's so so good, i have probably played it more than the Modest mouse albums themselves.

Alright I shall check them out! Thanks for the info!

Cheers mate!

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 29
i love the band, although i must admit that i only got one of their albums, being "we were dead before the ship even sank". i started listening to them before having any quality or hifi equipment, so i can't tell a lot about soundstage or recording quality in general. i just love it for the music, and i also like the whole seaman-theme that they stick to in many of the songs. they do know how to write tranquil tunes, but they perform better at rock songs and they do not lose their energy throughout the album, which many bands do.

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 29
I've only had a handful of songs until recently grabbing their discography. Among the few I had, I love Talkin' **** About a Pretty Sunset and Float On (sorry
wink.gif
). I'm working my way through their several albums, but haven't come across anything that's caught me like those other two have.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 29
These questions have been raised at Head-Fi before. You might find some interesting comments if you did a search. I'll happily discuss Modest Mouse with anyone at anytime. I agree with the post above, "Moon and Antarctica" is a masterpiece. I really like "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank." I really think that "Parting Of The Sensory" has become my favorite song from the Mouse. It's in the running for my favorite song of all time by anybody. It is certainly right up there with "Gravity Rides Everything," "The Cold Part," "Dramamine," "Blame It On The Tetons," "A Life Of Artic Sounds," "Cowboy Dan," "Polar Opposites," "The Stars Are Projectors," and "Missed The Boat." (...among others) I like their old stuff but I certainly like the direction that they have been moving in ever since. If you haven't heard the Issac Brock side project "Ugly Casanova" you really need to do that. You can thank me (and Davey
biggrin.gif
) later. I just saw Modest Mouse with The National, and R.E.M. this past Wednesday. I have to say, (and it pains my heart to do so...) but I was a bit disappointed with their live performance. However, as long as they continue to make music in the studio I'll be buying it.
cool.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just saw Modest Mouse with The National, and R.E.M. this past Wednesday. I have to say, (and it pains my heart to do so...) but I was a bit disappointed with their live performance. However, as long as they continue to make music in the studio I'll be buying it.
cool.gif

I have to agree. I saw them a few months ago and was disappointed. However, I love their recordings.

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These questions have been raised at Head-Fi before. You might find some interesting comments if you did a search. I'll happily discuss Modest Mouse with anyone at anytime. I agree with the post above, "Moon and Antarctica" is a masterpiece. I really like "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank." I really think that "Parting Of The Sensory" has become my favorite song from the Mouse. It's in the running for my favorite song of all time by anybody. It is certainly right up there with "Gravity Rides Everything," "The Cold Part," "Dramamine," "Blame It On The Tetons," "A Life Of Artic Sounds," "Cowboy Dan," "Polar Opposites," "The Stars Are Projectors," and "Missed The Boat." (...among others) I like their old stuff but I certainly like the direction that they have been moving in ever since. If you haven't heard the Issac Brock side project "Ugly Casanova" you really need to do that. You can thank me (and Davey
biggrin.gif
) later. I just saw Modest Mouse with The National, and R.E.M. this past Wednesday. I have to say, (and it pains my heart to do so...) but I was a bit disappointed with their live performance. However, as long as they continue to make music in the studio I'll be buying it.
cool.gif

How was R.E.M?

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 29
As stated, Moon and Antarctica is the best. I'll take Lonesome Crowded west second to that though.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by adion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only had a handful of songs until recently grabbing their discography. Among the few I had, I love Talkin' **** About a Pretty Sunset and Float On (sorry
wink.gif
). I'm working my way through their several albums, but haven't come across anything that's caught me like those other two have.

Those were the first two of their songs that I ever listened to lol!

The Moon and Antarctica has been one of the albums I've had the least time to listen to. Will make sure I give it more attention in the following weeks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 29
Somebody should tell Brock his lyrics went to crap, especially stealing your carbon over and over and over and over. No offense Dwebb, I agree that the instrumentation is solid on Parting of the Sensory but the lyrics just crap all over the song. Fire it up is especially embarrassing:

"trying to save an ice cube from the cold" and "...like trying to hide the daylight from the sun" is just downright silly.

I hate to be a negative Nancy, but those are just my thoughts on my favourite band. It hurts.

Favourite album for me is Building..., however, the Ugly Casanova album, Sharpen Your Teeth, is by far my most listened to MM related album.

Favourite MM tracks:

Broke, 3rd Planet, Polar Opposites, Worms vs. Birds

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
however, the Ugly Casanova album, Sharpen Your Teeth, is by far my most listened to MM related album.

That's my favourite as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back