Modern Jazz
Apr 16, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm not sure how much experience you have with the genre. If you're just getting into it, it may take some experimentation to find stuff you like. If you're into it already some of these suggestions may not be new to you.

Dave Holland's been putting out some very good albums for the past few years especially. The music is interesting, but fairly accessible/easy to enjoy. This is especially true of "What Goes Around", his big band album. His quintet's live album "Extended Play" is more out, but still very tuneful.

If intense, near-chaotic electric jazz sounds like it might interest you, listen to a sample of John Zorn's Electric Masada. Not sure how much I can really say about them to prepare you.

Two associated New York musicians have their names on a ton of great projects: (bassist) Ben Allison and (pianist) Frank Kimbrough. Allison really likes to experiment with instrumentation in his bands, while Kimbrough seems to be more of a piano-trio traditionalist. I haven't listened to enough discs very closely such that I could give a qualified recommendation as to their "best", but there's just a ton of stuff worth exploring. I've really been enjoying Kimbrough's "Play" recently.

Something a little more off the beaten track: The Italian Instabile Orchestra is an amazing collaboration between a whole bandful of player/composer/improvisers. "Skies of Europe" is great. Exciting, unpredictable, beautiful. Reminds me a bit of Zappa's late 80's big band.

Lastly, I've been a big fan of modern Latin jazz recently, as there are some interesting rhythmic innovations/integrations taking place. Foremost among the albums I'm familiar with are Omar Sosa's "Afreecanos" and Yosvany Terry's "Metamorphosis". Harmonically this music tends to be more conservative than the above suggestions, which also makes it very accessible. Which is not to say that the harmonies aren't interesting, of course: Sosa has a very individual voice on the piano.

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 9
It might be hard to find out of SoCal, but check out either "Cosmologic" or "Cross Border Trio". I have the albums III and New Directions, respectively.

The sax player for both bands taught a jazz class very well. Very well recorded, too.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone give me some suggestions? I want to expand my genre.

I would check out "The Bad Plus." I'm not too sure what you mean by modern, but TBP are a bass, piano, drum trio. They play some covers of more bearable pop songs but they also compose their own music and its all very good.

YouTube - THE BAD PLUS

Whats the tag to imbed video here?

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 9
I could give you a ton of suggestions, except that I have not idea what you mean by "modern jazz." What do you mean by this term? Contemporary, like they play on smooth jazz stations? Something else? Can you give maybe just one artist or group whose sound or similar sound you're after?

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 9
Robert Glasper - In my Element
The track "Maiden Voyage" is great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back