Modern/contemporary jazz recommendations with electronic sounds?
Feb 11, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 20

Quote:

Quote:
Henry Threadgill. Albert Ayler.  Ornette Coleman.  Liquid Jazz, Ronald Shannon Jackson, Electro-Deluxe, Mahavishnu Orchestra (Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire), Frank Zappa.

Just a few thoughts; there are many more.

- Ed

Hehe, I'm sorry but your recommendations seemed very traditional to me. Some slightly more modern, but still didn't sound this millennia... :)

Electro Deluxe was a notable exception, really nice. Thanks! That was a hip-hop jazz crossover I hadn't heard of before. Almost to sugary sweet American and clean for me, though, but I bought it! (Sounded a bit like Nisse Landgren Funk Unit, even, more funk than jazz.)

Ah, I misread your original post - that you were looking for recent stuff.  Threadgill still fills the bill.

- Ed

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 20

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps some (((Powerhouse Sound)))? I saw these guys at the Newport Jazz Festival '10. I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but give it a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Oslo-Chicago-Breaks-Powerhouse-Sound/dp/B000MV8CLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295404921&sr=8-1

Found it on iTunes as well. Very cool, thanks! Quite funky as well.

If you'd like to hear their performance at the Newport Jazz Festival last August you can find it on NPR. It's about an hour long and they play 2 songs that aren't on that album.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #19 of 20
Electric Masada, specifically the album "At the Mountains of Madness" keeps the vain of Bitches Brew but with a much different flavor. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #20 of 20
Another vote for Jaga Jazzist.  Also I have been enamored by The Claudia Quintet and Kneebody,  both bands flexing some progressive muscle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back