Modern composer recommendations?
Aug 28, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #16 of 24
Aug 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #17 of 24
Check out some of John Tavener's work. He's got some real gems.

Aug 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #18 of 24
Ooh, I didn't see that this thread was brought back from the dead.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to check these out.

Quote: Riordan
heyyoudvd,
i i second the score for 'the fountain' by clint mansell, kronos quartet and mogwai.
if you can appreciate (or stomach) operatic singing, philip glass's modern opera akhnaten might be something for you.

I've loved Lux Aeterna by Kronos Quartet ever since I first saw Requiem For A Dream but that's the only song I know by them. Also, I've been a big Mogwai fan for many years. Mogwai is one of my favourite post-rock bands (along with Godspeed You! Black Emperor). So that could be an interesting combination.

Also, it's very hard to find music that will shock me or music that I can't stomach. I take pride in the fact that I have very diverse tastes and am always trying to find fresh and exciting new sounds to listen to.

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 24
These are three of my favorite present day composers.  But, I really like movie soundtracks, and well, most of their pieces do sound like movie soundtracks.

Quote:
Danny Elfman
Hans Zimmer
Clint Mansell

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #20 of 24
Hans Zimmer is probably best known for his Gladiator soundtrack and a slew of others such as Pirates of the Caribbean. John Williams' Jurassic Park OST is amazing as well. Both Gladiator (Zimmer) and Jurassic Park (Williams) are mastered well and are pleasing to listen to. They are my recommendations.

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #21 of 24
I absolutely love Hans Zimmer's soundtrack to "Crimson Tide."  There are some passages there that really get my blood pumping.  Great for working out.

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
Also, it's very hard to find music that will shock me or music that I can't stomach. I take pride in the fact that I have very diverse tastes and am always trying to find fresh and exciting new sounds to listen to.

Well, maybe listen to Olivier Messiaen too then. Good stuff, pretty different. His clarinet parts are always fun to play.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #24 of 24
Thank you for letting us know about New Music Up Late 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back