Modern CD Players or Accuphase DP-60?
Jul 29, 2011 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tidal

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I live in Bangkok, Thailand, and now want to have a CD Player to be a source for Stax 2170 system. I'm seeking for a used one, which would be more kind to my wallet. I have been searching about many ones which are considered as modern models because I worry about maintenance cost. However, a day before I have recognized about a great old thing named "Accuphase" (have never known about it before due to its position in the market; Accuphase is definitely a hiend brand). After searching about the brand, I felt very impressed and fascinated about its both sonic and cosmetic quality. A model that should suit my wallet would be DP-60, which was introduced in 1990, twenty-one years ago !! The price run around $900 here and I wonder why this old thing is still in a spot in the market. Digital product especially the CD player shouldn't have lasted so long like this (and same as other models of Accuphase, which are still active in the used market).

My budget is around $900. Used Rega Apollo, Moon CD.5 and Audiolab 8200CD(quite rare) is now my choices for modern CD players. There're not very much products sold here and now I'm still not familiar to CD players market because I have never had one before. If the old DP-60, or other modern players work to, I will add them in my book.

But have to repeat again that I'm very scared about maintenance cost.
Thank you

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 4
For $900 I'd go with some nice DAC. There are plenty in this price range. More versatile - you can play your CDs on the laptop as well as any music files. An old CDP may require a repair or renovation of some parts!
And It's not sure that a new CDP in this price range will beat the DAC in terms of sound quality.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
For $900 I'd go with some nice DAC. There are plenty in this price range. More versatile - you can play your CDs on the laptop as well as any music files. An old CDP may require a repair or renovation of some parts!
And It's not sure that a new CDP in this price range will beat the DAC in terms of sound quality.

Thank you, brat. To be honestly, I'm using MacBook Air, which means that I can't play CDs on it.
By the way, DAC is better in terms of sound quality than CDP in the same price is?

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
By the way, DAC is better in terms of sound quality than CDP in the same price is?

I haven't explored the CDP market in this price range actually :) Maybe there're few diamonds. Make your own research if you want. :)

But there're several small companies that build decent dacs for $900 and less. And for this money you get a device that can obtain data from PC + any CD transport (if you have an old CDP). Moreover it's very possible to have better parts in it's digital and analog stage than a cheap CDP. Very few small companies make CDPs but the DAC market is large, there's a lot of R&D there and competition pushes the quality up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back