Moderator Policy on Deleting Posts
Oct 16, 2003 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
Is there any specific policy laid out for when a post gets deleted? Are the posters supposed to be warned/acknowledged at all about it, or are they just supposed to find out themselves and not no exactly why the post got deleted?

I've had posts deleted and edited before on this board, and a couple of times I've clicked the "report post to moderator" button and asked why a post was deleted and never received any kind of reply. Sometimes the post would reappear unedited, and other times nothing would happen at all.

I'd really like to get a pm or something whenever this happens, explaining why my post was deleted. This is for two very simple and obvious reasons:
a) If something I posted wasn't appropriate, I'd like to know why, or at least know that the reason for the post getting deleted. This makes everybody more knowledgable and helps everyone out in the end.
b) I'd like to be able to dispute the reason, if I disagreed with it. Even simple reasons like "thread crapping" are very subjective and I think should at least be open for private discussion.

I've noticed that some mods seem to do this already, as I have been pm'd before in the past when my behavior was inappropriate or whatever. Also, I find MacDEF (for example) seems to post warnings in the thread to help prohibit further questionable posts (like say illegal mp3 threads). This is the kind of thing I'd prefer to have. Any kind of information is better than none, in my experience.

Perhaps my memory isn't what it used to be, but often I'll find a thread that I swore I posted in and I simply can't even remember what I said in the post that is now no longer there. How can i work on correcting if I haven't a clue why it happened in the first place?

I guess I'm just looking for some kind of answer to this problem. I tried to ask as humbly as I can and without sarcasm or malcontent, and I'd really appreciate a simple answer or two and for this thread to stick around and not get deleted. Thank you.

Oct 16, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 7
How can we correct bad behavior if we don't know what we are doing worng?

I don't know of any posts I have had deleted. I did have one edited once by Jude and he PMd me about it. On that post I ended up editing it more than he had already done. I would rate that experience as a postivie one.
Pure deletion of a post would be confusing without some sort of reason why. Like grinch said, I don't always remember what I posted.

Oct 16, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 7
The policy is that we try to contact the people involved when we can, and I think most of the time we do.

I'll speak for myself in the following paragraph:

Sometimes it's so obvious that I don't bother. Other times all I have is five minutes, and see something that I feel needs to be moderated. If there's something I feel needs to be moderated (say, a personal insult, for example), and the choice is moderate but don't notify due to lack of time, or don't moderate at all, then I'll choose the former. By the time I free up again, I may forget about what I moderated earlier, and so the person won't be contacted. But most of the time, when I moderate something, the people involved are notified by me. As far as getting involved in a dispute/disagreement over my personal moderating decisions, I will sometimes do that. But a lot of times, I just don't have the time.

I know, like me, the other moderators work, are students, or both. I won't ask them to do what I can't. I know that they all do their best to be fair, and I know that they also try to extend the courtesy of a notification whenever possible and practical.

Again, I'd say that overwhelmingly most of the time an in-thread notification, and/or personal notifcation, is performed.

Also, everyone should check out the Head-Fi Rules & Terms of Use on a regular basis.

Oct 16, 2003 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
The policy is that we try to contact the people involved when we can, and I think most of the time we do.

Thanks for the reply. However, this has not been my experience with the majority of my deleted/edited posts on Head-fi. Oh well.

Oct 16, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 7
I try and notify the poster as soon as possible when I have either edited or deleted a post. You would be amazed (and I am not easily amazed) at the abhorrent content of some of the posts that are deleted. Sometimes these posters are submitting one post after another and it is all you can do to keep up with them. However, I must say that most of the people that I have contacted have been very understanding and have had no real problem with the changes.

Another thing for your information is that the "report a post to moderator" only goes to those moderators that are assigned to a particular forum. There is no guarantee that they were the one that actually edited or deleted a particular post.

Oct 16, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I try and notify the poster as soon as possible when I have either edited or deleted a post. You would be amazed (and I am not easily amazed) at the abhorrent content of some of the posts that are deleted. Sometimes these posters are submitting one post after another and it is all you can do to keep up with them. However, I must say that most of the people that I have contacted have been very understanding and have had no real problem with the changes.

What really amazes me sometimes (and I'm neither brown-nosing nor exaggerating) is the quality of the moderation here on Head-Fi -- particularly as compared to a lot of other forums I've frequented in the past, where many of the so-called moderators are really egotists on power trips.

You guys do an excellent job, afaic. It's refreshing when moderators look on the job as a job, and not a chance to wantonly exercise power.

I really do feel we have it good here, and have nothing to complain about.

Oct 17, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 7
i've had a number of posts deleted here, edited, warnings, etc. it stings a little when i get one of jude's "c'mon, man!" pm's, but i respect his site and the personal touch he adds even if he's just pissed at me. i'm sure i'm far from the ideal head-fi member in many moderator's minds, but i appreciate them bearing with me when i let my gonzo side out (especially this past week).

peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back