Moderating serious threads
Sep 14, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

I guess a raise is out of the question then.

I have it on inside information that Jude will raise your salary 300% if you just ask
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 7:44 AM Post #32 of 55
Getting serious for a microsecond, just my 2c, but I do think that the moderators moderate in moderation here. It's good.

Some boards are over-moderated on a narrow range of topics while others are left to fester. Some are just draconian. Others feature virtually no moderation allowing trolls to run rampant. Head-Fi, along with a couple of other good boards I know, get the balance right.

The character of the mods also seems to be a good balance. From what I can see, you have, at the very least, Sensible Mod, Grumpy Mod, Anal Retentive Mod, High-Horse Mod and Nerd Mod.

Put it this way, I thought I was a regular poster with 1,000 posts in a year on another board, but on coming to Head-Fi (and T-Forums) I'm averaging 500 posts in 3 months...

I do post a lot of crap which makes up for a large percentage of that 500 posts of course, but I wouldn't be coming back if it wasn't fun/informative/friendly (in a pokey-stick-in-the-ribs-with-a-grin sorta way
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Sep 14, 2002 at 11:00 AM Post #33 of 55
Exactly Magicthyse... Point well made
smily_headphones1.gif

If we were, as you say Draconian about our moderation... the only people that would be left viewing / posting on the boards would be complete nerds who were only interested in the technical aspects of driver design vs sound quality or something like that
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 11:15 AM Post #34 of 55
[size=small]I think this is one of the BEST forums I've seen on the net!!![/size]
(Although I registered only on July I've been lurking here for more than 6 month before...so I have "some" perspective...)

If saying "THANK YOU" is considered by some to "lick *****" - so be it...
This forum is so great firstly because of its members - no doubt about it - but nobody should be be "thankfully" to regular members for being here... we are doing it because we *enjoy* it - we get in, we get out as we please, no strings attached... On the contrary - all of us should be tremendously thankfully to the moderators for doing a hard daily STEADY job (even if they actually enjoy most of it) without being paid for it and keeping this forum as it is. Even if someone might disagree with "this" or "that" decision, on the whole there is no doubt they are doing an unbelievable GREAT JOB at it and I feel enormously thankfull to all of them for their work.
The least we can do is make public what we feel - so THANK YOU again to everybody who puts WORK into this forum to make it roll.

Sep 14, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
want us to delete that for you, kelly?

I wouldn't want to ask you to get up.

Sep 14, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #37 of 55
I think the moderating at Head-Fi is by and large very good. Only a couple things annoy me. First, as kelly said, there is some inconsistency. For example, MacDef wrote Quote:

... [the thread] wandered off into lengthy discussion that was no longer very relevant to the topic of the thread. In addition, the thread itself was very old, and didn't look like it would ever get back on track. ... I then closed it.

I've seen this happen in similar situations a few other times. Now let's jump to the present and the Cables, Power, etc forum. What do we see? A 652-post (and counting), five-month old thread proclaiming to be about a certain power cable, but really being about everything from the maker's complete line up of power cables, interconnects, and digital cables, as well as DACs, amps, vibration damping, and just about everything else in the audio realm.

The reality is that there is not 652 posts worth of stuff to say about a power cord. If MacDef moderated this forum, I presume it wouldn't have made it past the 100-post mark. But I'm glad that it's still there, as much as I don't understand the rantings of power-cord tweakers. People want to discuss stuff that evolved from that topic, and no moderator should come in and shut it down because it's 'off-topic.' How can it be off-topic if that's what the posters want to write about? I can understand splitting threads and starting new ones, but closing a thread for any reason other than a Head-Fi policy violation (and even there a better solution is generally just to delete posts) is ridiculous.

My other complaint is about moderating in the Member's Lounge. Every now and then someone'll start a nice political or religious discussion, and it'll go along for a while, then get shut down. I know people get touchy when we start discussing real, substantial issues, but why are these threads being closed? The people who participate in them do so because they want to. If things get touchy, they can leave. If they don't leave, it's because they don't want to. I can understand if moderators just want to preserve harmony and keep everyone civil. But I have never seen anything from a political or religious thread spill over into an audio thread. And until Head-Fi has a policy about deleting posts that are controversial or incite spirited discussion, these threads should remain open.

Moderating should be a pretty easy job. Let posters write whatever they want except in very specific circumstances:
  1. when a commercial entity violates Head-Fi's advertising policy
  2. when a poster writes something that is flagrantly hostile with no other purpose or content
Easy enough.

I will not post again on this topic. I apologize to those who took offense. It was offered in sincerity.

kerelybonto

Sep 14, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
http://pub29.ezboard.com/fminidiscla...picID=28.topic

(the funny thing about that link is it was the first thing I found after doing a totally arbitrary search for "MZR-900 opinions" just now. I remembered seeing some really vulgar threads on MD forums, so I decided to look for one to compare to head-fi. they didn't disappoint.)

Neruda, that is the wrong board to look at.
biggrin.gif

I reckon Head-Fi (and another board, Minidisc T-Board) carry out moderating duties well. Imagine if all the threads were censored - how boring would these boards be? The occasional "Flame" is fine IMO, as long as it isn't at a very personal level.

There may be mods you don't really like (there is one who's views I don't share, but I don't think it is obvious), but there is no need to critisise what they do here.

Sep 14, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #40 of 55
Isotope,

I'm slightly bemused by your post... So far as I know us mods have always been very diplomatic with our 'moderation', splitting posts, editing if need be, merging others... adding polls when they were missed etc etc... Why is there no mention of the good things that mods do? - Its all well and good shooting us all down in flames, if thats the way you feel... but to have a perfectly legitimate argument, surely both sides of the coin have to be seen?

Seeing that there is such a gripe going on... and purely on my head be it, so if the other mods disagree, they are well within their right to edit this post... I would like examples of where moderation has gone too far ~ If there genuinly is a problem, then air it with specific reasonings, rather than just hitting off at us all....

If you feel that you don't want to do this in public view, then by all means drop me (or obviously any other mod) a PM, and I/we will see what I/we can do to rectify the situation...

Thanks

Sep 14, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Now let's jump to the present and the Cables, Power, etc forum. What do we see? A 652-post (and counting), five-month old thread proclaiming to be about a certain power cable, but really being about everything from the maker's complete line up of power cables, interconnects, and digital cables, as well as DACs, amps, vibration damping, and just about everything else in the audio realm.

The reality is that there is not 652 posts worth of stuff to say about a power cord. If MacDef moderated this forum, I presume it wouldn't have made it past the 100-post mark.

Actually, that's not true. First, I do moderate that forum, just as everyone else moderates the music forum. The forum moderators are listed as being "in charge of" is mostly a formality -- we all moderate the forum as a whole.

But second, the reason that thread hasn't been closed is because, as you said, it's still covering lots of informative topics. The thread I used as an example was closed not only because it was "off topic" but also because the "discussion" that was occuring was becoming more of a personal exchange than about anything topical.

Sep 14, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #42 of 55
Having read through the posts on this thread I thought I would throw my opinion into the mix. I would recommend that everything stay as is as far as moderation. What makes this forum work as opposed to others is the quality of the postings as a whole. Once in a while someone will stray off and say something totally inappropriate but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. In fact this appears to happen when the threads drift over into religion or politics (Remembering the In God we trust thread).

If down the road things change readdress it but for noe I wouldn't change a thing.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #44 of 55
having only been a member of this forum for a few months I have to say that I think that the moderators here do a great job, if anyone thinks thats kissing someones ass so be it. I think these people who post long wish lists of what the moderators should and should not do should get a life themselves, and realize that what these people are doing here is not their full time jobs and that we should all just be grateful that this forum is here, or maybe if we don't like it we should just go somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back