moderate hearing loss....what cans to get?
Feb 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

adverb

New Head-Fier
I have a moderate hearing loss from an inner ear infection as a child.  Most of the loss is in the highs (about 25% loss in the lows, approaching 60% loss in the highs), so I need bright/treble-heavy headphones.

Planned usage:
Movies, games

The problem with my current headphones (KSC75 and HD201) is that I need to adjust the gain so high to understand voices that sound quality is drastically affected.  If I could get bright headphones, I wouldn't need to turn the volume and gain up as much to understand what people are saying in movies.

What would you good folks have me get?  Before recommending anything too expensive, keep in mind I'm a student on loans.  That said, I do plan to eventually get a headphone amp and equalizer to get the most out of my setup.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't have the actual experience to recommend a headphone for this purpose (somebody else will, I'm sure), but I use a Behringer DEQ2496 to equalize my Audeze LCD-2s. This is relatively cheap; I don't know your budget, but it's actually very cheap for the functionality you get. Opinions on Behringer tend to be  split. Their gear is built to a price in China and they have a bad reputation for reliability. On the other hand you only get comparable functionality by paying something like 4 times as much otherwise. FWIW my unit is working fine and, to my ears, the quality is there to not let the Audeze LCD-2 down. I use it purely as a digital unit.

Another electronic, and analogue, alternative would be something like the Aphex 204, a product known as an aural exciter, used in radio and studios. The 204 allows boosting both the treble and bass and has knobs to control the magnitude of the effect, as well as the frequencies where it cuts in. It's easier to use than the Behringer. It's technically not an equalizer, as it works without raising the amplitude of any frequency, but instead generates overtones or manipulates the phase of the signal (not entirely sure; it's patented). The effect is more clarity and "zing" in the treble, as well as overall bigger bass. This is independently adjustable. I have one of these that I was thinking of selling (110 volts). If you're interested, send me a private message.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 7
If you can get a used Sony SA5000 for $300, try that, because that thing is super bright.

If you want something even more extreme, get the Grado SR80i/SR225i/SR325is and then put the G-cushions (salad bowls designed for the GS1000i/PS1000) on it for ear-piercing treble. But if it works for you, then great.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Though I am not a audiophile or have any input in your setup, i just want to say i hope you find whats best for you here and hope you can still enjoy music more with the advice given here :)

Good luck.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
The problem with my current headphones (KSC75 and HD201) is that I need to adjust the gain so high to understand voices that sound quality is drastically affected.  If I could get bright headphones, I wouldn't need to turn the volume and gain up as much to understand what people are saying in movies.

Um, I think that if you need to turn up the volume just to understand voices, you should probably look into ear implants instead of headphones to increase your ability to hear in those frequencies. I imagine it would be important to hear people speaking clearly at normal volumes in daily life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back