modding tips with senny cx300
Mar 29, 2006 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jon_m

100+ Head-Fier
Can this be done? I've just got a pair of these, and am very happy with the sound
basshead.gif
Even the biggest tips, though, seem a bit small for my ears - maybe got unusually big ear canals
blink.gif
Can these take the tips from any other IEMs - and, if so, which tips and how? Or are bigger replacement tips available (haven't been able to see them anywhere...)

Thanks,

Jon

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi Jon,

I actually posted a message about this a few weeks ago, I think that as the Senn CX-300 are relatively new, few people have got round to trying to mod them.

I emailed somebody at a UK headphones supplier, who told me that Ultimate Ears tips fit, however they didn't say which model, nor were they able to supply any sample tips for me to try.

I have been told that these UE tips aren't a perfect fit and as such I was reluctant to order any. I presume you are in the States and may find it easier to get hold of sample tips to try any mods out. To my eyes, the Sony EX 71's appear to have similar dimensions to the CX-300's, but by no means take that as a definite statement!

I am loving the Senns, using them un-amped with a Sony NW-A3000. I have got a pair of Senn PX-200's that I used with my Discman, but these IEM's blow them away.

Please post if you find out any news re: modding the tips, I check this forum most days for news, but as yet have seen nothing. (I am also using the largest rubber tips, seal is good but want to try something just for inquisition's sake!)

Cheers, Jamie

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 7
thanks for the info - can I ask what the supplier was? Like the idea of trying UE tips (better isolation?); am also in the UK, though, so everything does seem to be harder to get hold of and dearer than in the US
frown.gif
btw, I'm finding that using a big tip in one ear and a small one in another actually gives a better fit. Odd - assumed both ear canals were the same size
confused.gif

Anyway, these do have a really good, 'live' sound - guitars on Raw Power sound great
orphsmile.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm pretty sure it was handheldaudio (info@handheldaudio.co.uk) but it was from my work email so can't check if that is correct. They stock them, anyway. They have the tips for sale, but I didn't fancy spending a third of what I paid for the CX-300's just to try some tips! Ideally I'd like to see whether tri-flange, foam etc work best, and that means getting a sample pack.

I have tried with the larger rubber tip in my left ear, and the medium in my right- seems to be best for me that way.

I'm considering a small amp, but of the one's I've seen, they are all about 2/3rds of the size of the NW-A3000, which makes for a very bulky pocket.

You are right about the cost/difficulty with being a UK consumer, it is frustrating to think that the CX-300 are around $40 in the states...

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 7
any more info about changin the tips on these would be handy
smily_headphones1.gif
If I can't sort anything out, think I'll wind up returning them - really like the sound, but the isolation isn't quite good enough to use in the gym and a slightly loose fit means they keep falling out when I'm doing exercise
rolleyes.gif
Haven't been able to get any more info on if the UE tips fit, and by the time i've bought them I could have almost afforded a more attenuating pair of IEMs... Might try the ety 6 this time...

Oh yeah, if anyone in the UK wants a cheap pair of cx300s, might sell them to save the hassle of returning them; will be sure to wash them nicely
eggosmile.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 7
I have a pair of these as well, and for the price you can get them for, they're nothing short of amazing. I actually prefer them to my DT770, clarity and detail wise, bass withstanding. Surprised you find them not isolating enough, I'm going over to ear buds since they give me too much isolation. Need em for working out etc. But anyways some reviewer on amazon said this :

Quote:

Silicone ear tips are interchangeable with Sony's ex series ear tips.
If you want to do some experiment you can try Shure's ear tip on them.
Even somebody have suggested Shure's Ultra Soft Flex Sleeve (PA749M) on this IEM but I would like to suggest Shure's PA757M Flex Sleeves instead. (Please change the size according to your ear size)
With Shure PA757M Flex Sleeve this Sharp/ Creative/ Sennheiser IEM sounds as if the sound stage become expanded without deterioration in sound quality.

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 7
thanks for the info. I think the problem with lack of attenuation is partly that they work fine till they work a bit loose (which they do quickly in the gym) then isolation suffers... Yeah, sound is great for the money, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Spoke to the dealer I bought them from (harrow audio, very helpful...) and it turns out senny's bringing out a flanged earphone in a few weeks time
580smile.gif
The senny flanges won't fit the cx300, though
frown.gif
With any luck the flanges'll fit better, so will probly return them to buy the flanged version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back