Modding the Shure e2 iems'
Sep 20, 2006 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

plywood99

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,
Longtime reader but first time posting.

Anyway, bought a pair of Shure e2 iems' and really like the size and fit, and the isolation is excellent. However the sound of them was very dry so to speak. Mids sounding rather bland and not to inviting. This is my fourth set of iems and they fit the best, hence did not want to return them. So figured I would try to liven the sound up a touch by modding them.

Here are the Shure's unmodded. Notice that there is a little plug in the end of the ear nozzle.

Got a hunch removing that plug will change the sound a bit. Don't know if it would help or hinder, but hey, got to try something. Using a small screw driver, I pluck the plug out. Ends up it was held in with just a touch of glue and came out quite easily.

Here you can see the tiny hole in the plug and the now large opening in the ear nozzle. Also looks like the plug has a number 5 on it. Wonder if there are different plugs for the e2s'?

Maybe it is just me but the sound seems to have opened up a little since the mod, mids are not near as dry as before, sounding more natural and open. Still has the closed sound of iems but better than stock e2s'.

Has anyone else done this? If so did you notice an improvement or does it sound worse?

Ply

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 11
This is a well documented mod usually referred to as the "Kramer" mod after the original poster on Head-Fi. Try a search and you'll find a lot of info.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 11
The Kramer mod is exactly the same thing. Removing the plugs and setting the filters on the opened up stems. You've got great photos here though
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's the thread: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=kramer+mod

Sep 20, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99
Thanks guys. Feel kind of lame being that my first post here is a mod thats been done several times before. Need to practice my searching skills...

Ply

For me your post was worth looking at just for the photos of the 8GB Nano. The black e2s pair with it really nicely. That should be a great portable rig. It looks like e2gs would match with the 8GB Nano nicely as well. Nice photos!Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Sep 20, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpeck
For me your post was worth looking at just for the photos of the 8GB Nano. The black e2s pair with it really nicely. That should be a great portable rig. It looks like e2gs would match with the 8GB Nano nicely as well. Nice photos!Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Yeah the black E2s' and the Nano make a good combo.

Lol, wallet is quite happy actually. I'm selling three other daps to compensate for the 8gig Nano purchase. And the new Nano sounds better than the old generation, bass roll off is not as severe. Just wish they would come out with a 16gig flash player. Thinking about buying a 16gig compact flash card and putting it in my Zen Microphoto. If I could just get the thing apart that is...

Ply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back