Modding the Sennheiser HD800s to clamp harder?
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
This headphone sounds great but gives me a neck-ache (despite its featherweight status) because I have to wear the headband very far forwards to prevent the headphone from slipping off my head backwards if I relax back into a chair or tilt my head upwards slightly. The headband being forwards shifts the weight of the headphone forwards, which eventually puts a strain on the posterior neck muscles. Also, now if I look down slightly, the headphone falls forwards off my head.

It's a really annoyingly loose fit, and I wish Sennheiser would have found a way to implement the reassuring clamp and stability of fit of the HD650 into the HD800s. How are you meant to use it in a studio application if every time you look at your keyboard input and then back at your monitor, it slides out of position?

Has anyone successfully modded the HD800s to clamp onto the head better, or achieve a more stable fit in other ways (adding Dekoni nuggets somewhere)?

I have a medium sized head, and other headphones don't give me this issue...

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 3
This headphone sounds great but gives me a neck-ache (despite its featherweight status) because I have to wear the headband very far forwards to prevent the headphone from slipping off my head backwards if I relax back into a chair or tilt my head upwards slightly. The headband being forwards shifts the weight of the headphone forwards, which eventually puts a strain on the posterior neck muscles. Also, now if I look down slightly, the headphone falls forwards off my head.

It's a really annoyingly loose fit, and I wish Sennheiser would have found a way to implement the reassuring clamp and stability of fit of the HD650 into the HD800s. How are you meant to use it in a studio application if every time you look at your keyboard input and then back at your monitor, it slides out of position?

Has anyone successfully modded the HD800s to clamp onto the head better, or achieve a more stable fit in other ways (adding Dekoni nuggets somewhere)?

I have a medium sized head, and other headphones don't give me this issue...
I'm very satisfied with my HD800S's fit, very comfortable phones to use for hours. I use the last 2 notches of the headband for my fit, and I've never had a problem with the phones slipping. For maximum audio value, one should position the phones so the back and top of the phones are positioned (almost touching) over the top and back of ones outer ear (Helix).

I'm no studio musician. I would think it's important to isolate one's self from extraneous noise in a studio environment, so open backed phones wouldn't be one's first choice.

I have switched to fenestrated (perforated) sheepskin pads. I like these Geekria pads, which are very similar to the Dekoni pads at a much better price. I think they offer a better grip than the stock pads. I have the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads for my Dan Clark Aeon 2 opens (Geekria doesn't make a set for these phones).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back