Modding the RME HDSP 9632
Jun 25, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #61 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
try cross measuring them both.. the slight high end rolloff seen on E-MU is intentional.. it should be about 0.5dB @ 20kHz both for input and output, thus 1dB in loopback.. E-MU has better ADC so use it for measuring RME..

I tried that, and strangely enough I get slightly worse results going RME->EMU than RME->RME. Also most of the roll-off of the EMU seems to be in the ADC, because going EMU->RME gets rid of almost all of the roll off. The EMU also has slightly rolled-off bass compared to the RME.

I am really starting to think these tests are only useful to make sure there's nothing wrong with a card after I mod it. They sure as hell don't predict the sound quality changes I have heard.

Jun 25, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #62 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I am really starting to think these tests are only useful to make sure there's nothing wrong with a card after I mod it. They sure as hell don't predict the sound quality changes I have heard.

I never believed in measurements telling the whole story on quality anyhow.

Jun 25, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #63 of 106
Post da pics with that nifty camera.
wink.gif

-Ed

Jun 25, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #64 of 106
Iron_Dreamer has a camera? I wouldn't have guessed with the number of pictures he's been posting.

pictures please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edwood's SFF computer he made for his soundcard makes me want to have one of my own... iWill is releasing a dual opteron SFF computer so I may get that. another duallie!! yay!! I'll need to see how much it will cost though, seems expensive once I add up all the parts costs.
frown.gif
or I can use the SFF I already have... but it is only an AXP 2000+ and won't do much for my SMP craving.

Jun 25, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #65 of 106
I would post pics now, but the camera batteries are shot (of course how much should I have expected from Ed's Ikea batteries anyways?) So pics will be coming as soon as I get out to get more batts. Not very interesting so far, just a lot of caps missing on the front, and bigger, prettier ones put on the back
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #66 of 106
who said bigger, prettier caps are not interesting? shame on you Edwood IKEA batteries.

now that I think of it, I should have left you my Grace 901 and some balanced cabling? they are sitting there unused anyways....

Jun 25, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #67 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
who said bigger, prettier caps are not interesting? shame on you Edwood IKEA batteries.

now that I think of it, I should have left you my Grace 901 and some balanced cabling? they are sitting there unused anyways....

Ah, no biggie, it sounds just great like this anways through my system. I found some batteries lying in a random drawer in the garage, time to go see if they work
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #70 of 106
The RME has a better driver in that you can switch the frequency without having to load a new "session," it can handle any frequency up to 192, not just 44,48,96, ans 192 like the EMU. All the settings for the card are also on one nice easy to use control panel that takes up only a tiny bit of my desktop space. Also it has WDM drivers for every frequency that bypass kmixer, AFAIK, allowing for bit-perfect output (this is base on what others have said, I have no way to test this myself).

Jun 26, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #71 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by haycheng
How is the driver compare to the EMU? Do the RME have a better driver. I really do not want to due with all the problem with bad driver.

are you considering getting the Hammerfall DSP 9632?

Jun 26, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #72 of 106
so... where are those pictures?

did any new parts arrive yet?

I am still very bored if you cannot tell.
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #73 of 106
Quote:

tongue.gif

Need new hobbies?
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #74 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Need new hobbies?
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

maybe I'll go research ways to cool my dual xeon and dual barton systems... trying to cool 10+ Ghz (between the two systems) in a small space with only fans makes for a loud setup.
tongue.gif
watercooling is expensive.
frown.gif

I can always listen to my headphones too. I'm forgetting to do that nowadays.
eek.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #75 of 106
Quote:

so... where are those pictures?

did any new parts arrive yet?

tongue.gif

Nothin' new yet. No batts for the camera, and the parts did not show up today, so I guess both will wait until I get home from town on Monday. Now stop being bored and go enjoy that OmegaII rig of yours
biggrin.gif

The card still sounds really sweet BTW, if even improved a touch with burn-in so far. Blackgates tend to sound a bit incoherent in the first day or so, comapred to how the sound later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back