Modding the Rega Ear / OPA627
May 13, 2005 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

maarek99

1000+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about getting some OPA627's to replace the Rega's opamps. I've read a lot of modding threads, but I still have a couple of questions:

I was thinking of buying them from digikey, but there are several opa627's. Which one of them should I get?

Are there any instructions on opamp replacing? Or is it straightforward enough? Can I install them wrong? (Upside down or something)

P.S Does digikey deliver to europe?

May 13, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 5
I am not familiar with that amp, but if they are 'socketed' and not soldered then they just unplug (carefully, without bending the pins) and the new one drops in (then pressed down tightly into the socket).
YES, the IS a proper orientation . . . both the socket and the opamp have a 1/2 round notch in the front.

May 13, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 5
It is very easy. The Rega board is pretty spread out and allows you to easily desolder the stock chip and pit in either the browdog adaptor/627's combo or you could just put sockets in and do some experimenting with the 627's and other opamps. I have the 627's in mine, but the 2604 sounds very nice as well.

OPA627AP are the chips I use in mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back