modding the McFugly?
Jul 12, 2006 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
I got a new mp3 player that I'd love to mod somehow, because it's very ugly and my right-angle headphone jack doesn't fit as it is. And I figure what better way to do this than ask Head-Fi!?

The back light appears to be a single blueish white LED on the right side of the display. Red would look great here. Actually any color would, minus blue. I hate blue, so overused. Next the display is, for every way I can hold this thing, backwards. I'll have to see if this is even possible, but flipping it around would be very nice. Thirdly the volume keys are reversed. Jeeze what are they thinking.
rolleyes.gif
And maybe find a way to get rid of the "chrome" plastic on the face.

Hmm, requests anyone?
biggrin.gif
(spray painted Grado's come to mind)

pny.jpg

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
I got a new mp3 player that I'd love to mod somehow, because it's very ugly and my right-angle headphone jack doesn't fit as it is. And I figure what better way to do this than ask Head-Fi!?

The back light appears to be a single blueish white LED on the right side of the display. Red would look great here. Actually any color would, minus blue. I hate blue, so overused. Next the display is, for every way I can hold this thing, backwards. I'll have to see if this is even possible, but flipping it around would be very nice. Thirdly the volume keys are reversed. Jeeze what are they thinking.
rolleyes.gif
And maybe find a way to get rid of the "chrome" plastic on the face.

Hmm, requests anyone?
biggrin.gif
(spray painted Grado's come to mind)

pny.jpg

I hate those cheapo players.

Step 1: Raise sledgehammer
Step 2: Smash mp3 player
Step 3: Repeat steps 1 and 2 until mp3 player is no more then a fine powder
Step 4: Throw out powder

Jul 13, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 6
I say we put the magic bullet to the test and see if it can really blend anything.

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 6
Remove the enclosure. I love the industrial look.

Aug 14, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 6
problem is ('was' - i'll explain) these flash players are so bad they limit your ability to actually listen. so i'll do whatever I can to try to convince me to hold the thing, use the thing, not throw the thing across the room, etc...

GOOD NEWS. sorda.
This MP3 player is now someplace between New Mexico and Iowa. Yep, I went on a cross-country trip (driving) and managed to leave it behind in some hotel room along the way. I feel bad for whomever finds it. They shouldn't have to deal with such a poor MP3 player experience.

So...thats that. I managed to get the keychain clip off before I lost it, enabling my right-angle UM2's to fit better with it. The idea of the industrial look is actually a good one. I would have to dip the thing in multiple coats of clear plasti-dip. But it might be cool, especially with a little LED making the clear plastic glow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back