Modding the K81DJs
Feb 13, 2007 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Volta

100+ Head-Fier
Decided to do a bit of modding of my k81s. I've removed the foam pad and added blu-tak. Now all I need to is a recable. How hard is it? I'll be able to use the soldering iron + solder and other tools at school, so that won't a problem. What materials will I need to build a cable and where can I buy it? (I'm in the UK)

Thanks

Volta
eggosmile.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 7
bump...c'mon guys, I have no idea where to start with recabling.

Thanks,
Josh

Feb 14, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 7
relatively simple, you need:

wire (either a quad, two doubles, or 4 singles)
connector (stereo of course so you can get left and right channels)
soldering iron, solder, pliers, clippers, etc. tools for electronics.

You'll have three points to solder to on the connector plug. Two wires go to ground, and one each to signal for left and right. Solder the signal wire to the corresponding cup (left on the left driver, right on the right) and solder the ground to the other pad. Usually signal pads are marked somehow.

so to summarize:
3 points to solder on the connector
2 wires go to ground
make sure the signals aren't crossed (left signal goes to right driver vise versa)
one ground wire per driver
driver's signal pads are somehow marked/symbolized

i'm pretty sure you know how to strip the wire (for quads) or braid/heatshrink/techflex the wire (singles and doubles)

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Where is the best place to buy wire from? Qables seems good for connectors but only sells 'diy silver'. Another thing, is wire sold with rubber insulation or do you have to buy that as well? Does anyone have an example of a combination that would work well?

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks, that helped a lot with the connector end. Now I'm confused as to what happens at the y-split. Do you need two cables? Also, I have opened up my k81s and two wires connect to each side. Are there the ground and channel?

Thanks again,
Josh

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 7
Just split the 4 wires into 2 at the split and resleeve them into 2 channels. Make sure there's a ground and a signal in each split and that you know which is left and right.
On the k81, the 2 wires are: red tinge-signal, bare wire-ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back