Modding the AD700 or: How to make purple AD2000s.
Oct 10, 2009 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Spraj

New Head-Fier
So I've fallen in love with my AD700. It was my first true quality pair of headphones, and it's the only one I've kept.

Now I've seen quite a few different mods to various headphones on the forums, mostly Grado mods, but I've only ever seen one AD700 mod. So I decided to set out on a DIY adventure.

Before:
photo6y.jpg

After:
photo7ao.jpg

After 2:
photo5epm.jpg

Sorry about the awful quality, I had to use my laptop's built-in camera.

To give a general idea, they look like purple AD2000s or AD1000s.

I'll post a "How-To" in this thread if there is any interest. Impression also, if there is interest.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like you just removed the black foam that covers the back of the driver.

Looks can be deceiving, I redid the soldering on several joints and insulated most of the wiring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fldrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you dynamted the back of the drivers like I outlined in my mod guide. Otherwise, the sound will be rather harsh once you removed the rear foam disk.

I ordered some dynamat from Amazon, but I don't think I will use it. I'm probably going to order AD2000 drivers from Audio Technica.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spraj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks can be deceiving, I redid the soldering on several joints and insulated most of the wiring.

Nice! Any internal pics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spraj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered some dynamat from Amazon, but I don't think I will use it. I'm probably going to order AD2000 drivers from Audio Technica.

If you live in the US, can you let me know what they charge for shipping?

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 12
I'd rather not take any internal pics right now. Two of the screws have stripped and I don't want to have to drill any more out.

In other news, does anyone know if the AD2000 drivers will work in the AD700 housing? The AD2000 has a split Y cable, the AD700 is one sided. Will that lead to any problems?

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 12
Any update on getting the ad900's drivers into the ad700's? If it works, could be a great way to save some money.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 12
I forget who, but somebody had W5000 drivers in their AD500. Also, fldrice, you might want to add dynamat to the rear baffles of the AD700 drivers (that ring immediately around the magnet that you already had dynamatted) also. Measure the inner and outer diameter of it, pop some holes using a hole punch, and cut out the area for the voice coil connections, and stick that sucker on there!

Dynamatting the driver should only tighten bass response by reducing vibrations caused the lower frequencies. It [should] also result in a little drop in bass quantity. Adding felt to the front of the driver would reduce harshness (removes some low treble/high mids).

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forget who, but somebody had W5000 drivers in their AD500. Also, fldrice, you might want to add dynamat to the rear baffles of the AD700 drivers (that ring immediately around the magnet that you already had dynamatted) also. Measure the inner and outer diameter of it, pop some holes using a hole punch, and cut out the area for the voice coil connections, and stick that sucker on there!

WittyzTH transplanted W5000 drivers into his AD500. I'm looking into the possibility of transplanting AD2000 drivers into an AD500 but school comes first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dynamatting the driver should only tighten bass response by reducing vibrations caused the lower frequencies. It [should] also result in a little drop in bass quantity. Adding felt to the front of the driver would reduce harshness (removes some low treble/high mids).

It sort of did, but my fiberloft plug brought out the lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back